Lucas Sherman Presents his Composing Talents

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

You may listen to Sherman’s winning “Allegro in E Minor for the String Orchestra” in the attached mp3 file.

After months of hard work and creativity, sophomore Lucas Sherman was thrilled to be able to hear his own piece played by a professional symphony.

Sherman was awarded first place in a composition competition for his piece “Allegro for Strings in E Minor,” which was debuted by the York Symphony Orchestra (YSO)  in their concert on November 3 and 4.

Sherman’s orchestra director Zachary Levi is incredibly proud of his accomplishment.

“Lucas is representing our school outstandingly well,” said Levi. “It’s really great for him to be recognized by a professional symphony… I’m excited to see where this will take him in the future.”

Writing music takes a lot of skill and motivation, which is easy to see in Sherman’s work.

Lucas’s brother Julien Sherman is glad that Lucas was commended for his efforts.

“Lucas works extremely hard at composing music,” said Sherman. “He is very deserving of being selected by the York Symphony.”

It took a lot of time and effort on Sherman’s behalf to write his piece. Sherman gives some insight as to how long he has been interested in writing music.

“I wrote my first piece in sixth grade when I started learning the saxophone,” said Sherman. “Then I went to this composition camp over the summer… my writing started to get better and better, so when I found out there was a songwriting competition I sent in my piece.”

It’s not every day that a composer gets to hear their music played in a concert, especially those that are still at a high school level.

Sherman was very honored to be able to experience his piece being played.

“The orchestra played it very well,” said Sherman. “They were sight reading [the piece], so it was really impressive… A cello player and a bass player even came up to me afterward and told me it was actually pretty hard, so that was cool.”

Sherman really enjoys writing music and is considering pursuing it in the future.

“I’ll probably get a more stable job, and then compose on the side,” said Sherman. “If I get better at it then maybe it’ll be my only job. And then I’ll teach lessons on the side, ya know, music things.”

Sherman is already writing new music for the future,so be sure to look out for what he creates next.