Junior Class Council Finalizes Prom Details

Lanterns will dine over the table tops, purple hues will take control over the dance floor while students are attired in suits and flowing dresses for the annual junior and senior prom.

The junior class council will host prom on May 4, 2024 at the Valencia Ballroom in York.

The theme for this year’s prom is “Tangled in Our Memories” from the Disney movie “Tangled.”

This image shows a clip from the Disney movie “Tangled.” This gives an idea of the color scheme of prom. Image by @tangled400 via Instagram

In the past years, the student body was not happy with the prom theme that was chosen, so the class council let the students have a say this year through online voting.

This image shows the options for prom themes before the student body voted. Image by @shsjuniorclasscouncil via Instagram

Due to a large number of students attending the prom, the Valencia was a good choice with the large ballroom and a dance floor. Junior class adviser Karen DeLuca sees the choice of the Valencia Ballroom as very beneficial.

This image shows the Valencia Ballroom where this year’s prom will take place. Image by @Valencia Ballroom via Facebook

“Class council has a good working relationship with Valencia and has hosted prom there in the past,” DeLuca said. “Valencia is one of the few venues in the area that will fit 400+ students.”

Juniors and seniors have lots to look forward to at prom, including music that the student body picked and an exquisite menu for a full sit-down meal.

The class council has put a lot of work and their own time into planning this year’s prom. They planned the fundraiser, Stall a Teacher Day, earning a little over $400. The funds will provide decorations and a photo backdrop for photography opportunities.

Students have lots of options to pick from for dinner and desserts, as well as their seating.

The class council, with DeLucas’s help, created a budget and organized a fundraiser. Junior president of the class council Vicky Chen was part of this process.

“The budget for decorations was pretty difficult, but [we] overcame that through running a Stall a Teacher Day fundraiser,” Chen said.

Last year the fundraisers weren’t as successful, so this year’s class council is excited to be able to have a larger budget to create a one-of-a-kind prom experience as well as create a more affordable ticket price. A lot of this is thanks to the junior class council stepping up this year and help in raise money.

Junior treasurer of the junior class council Chloe Warner explains that planning for prom is not an easy job to do and can be very time-consuming.

Warner said, “Planning prom is very complex, and it’s like planning a wedding… we hope students appreciate the work that goes into prom.”