Freshmen Participate in STEM Day

Freshman De’Jon Spriggs mixes chemicals to create the polyurethane hand. On Tuesday, March 5, 2024, after many delays, freshmen students at Susquehannock High School participated in a STEM day hosted by South Central PA Junior Achievement. Students participated in many activities demonstrating the four pillars of STEM, Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. At the chemistry station, students mixed polymeric diphenylmethane diisocyanate with penta floran propane to create polyurethane, which expands to fill a glove to make a colorful hand.   Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards

Freshman Ben Hassler mixes chemicals in the latex glove to make his polyurethane hand at the chemistry station. Students were asked to mix chemicals to make polyurethane, which expands and fills a glove to make a hand. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshman Joshua Shehan admires his polyurethane hand that he created in the Chemistry Station. The plastic bottle to the right is a mixture of baking soda and vinegar that creates heat to fill the balloon. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Student volunteer junior Thomas Chilinguerian gets equipment ready at the Chemistry Station. “In the hands, we mix polymeric diphenylmethane diisocyanate with penta floran propane which expands when it is made,” said Chilinguerian. “And then, we put it in a glove which expands and makes like a hand.” Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshman Will Minacci works with the adult volunteer during the testing station. Volunteers work with the students to demonstrate how infectious diseases spread. This station demonstrated the Science of Epidemiology. Students experimented with test tubes and chemicals to simulate the spread of infectious diseases. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshman Stevie Brenton tests his water filter at the water filtration station. STEM partner Thaddeus Stevens College ran this station which demonstrated the importance and process of water filtration. In this station, students were asked to use different materials to filter water. Whatever group had the cleanest water in the end won. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshman Robert Wuhrman and others demonstrate their manufacturing skills while making a dessert tray. “They have to work as a group to plan what they’re going to do and how they’re going to assemble it,” said Junior Achievement STEM Director Dawn Gerhardt. “The goal is to mimic actually manufacturing a product.” This station demonstrates the manufacturing sector of engineering. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshman Ella Wetzel and others work with wires to make the speaker work and the light bulb turn on. At the electricity station, students were asked to assemble wires to make a light bulb illuminate and a speaker make a loud buzz. This station was run by the York Electrical Institute to demonstrate one field of engineering. Just after beginning the station, Wetzel and her peers work together to develop a game plan to make the light bulb illuminate, with assistance from the volunteers from the York Electrical Institute. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshmen Jenna lynch and Callie Ambrose admire their finished product at the electronics station. After learning how to connect these wires and use circuits, the finished project, a (very loud) buzz and a bright light bulb made the students feel accomplished. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Adult volunteer Laurie Dryden gives instructions to students at the mathematics station. Dryden works for a mining company and uses mathematics often in her career. At the mathematics career, students were asked to use their mathematical skills to solve a puzzle. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshmen Paige Dwyer and Jadelynn Zorbaugh put a puzzle together at the math station. Students were asked to use mathematical skills to solve a puzzle, showing students the problem solving skills they would need in the field of technical engineering. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Freshman Marco Petricevic uses technical skills to make a robot draw shapes at the technology station. At the technology station, students were taught about the future of robotic technology. Students used their coding skills to make a robot draw markings on a whiteboard. The robots were brought in by Junior Achievement to allow students to learn how to give robots directions and give them basic coding skills. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards

Adult volunteer Charles Fallin stands with a mobile telecommunications robot being operated by student volunteer Nictorious Khoury. At the technologies station, this robot was used to demonstrate the capabilities of robotic technologies. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards
Adult volunteer Matt demonstrates elephant toothpaste during the final rotation period at the chemistry station. Elephant toothpaste is created by mixing hydrogen peroxide, yeast and dish soap. Photograph by Lachlan Gemmill-Edwards