October Fun Night Raises Around $500 for Food Pantry

Over 400 cars full of Halloween-costumed children, pets and parents arrived to receive candy during October Fun Night.

The event was hosted as a drive-thru in which students represented clubs and classes while following COVID-19 restrictions, raising about $500 for the local food pantry.

MiniTHON Adviser and Spanish teacher Heather Walker enjoyed the participation of both students and children and hopes to return to hosting the night indoors when COVID-19 has passed.

Junior Alli Walker hands candy out to children attending October Fun Night. Photograph courtesy of Kellin McCullough

“It was fun to see some cars decorated with lights, dogs and parents dressed up and kids sitting in the trunks of their minivans,” said Walker. “Since we weren’t supposed to reach into the cars, we made a game of tossing the candy into their buckets/bags and inevitably scattered candy all over their cars, which the kids thought was funny.”

Matthew Shervington, the adviser of Aevidum, was impressed with the Student Council’s efforts in organizing October Fun Night and is interested in hosting the same drive-thru style next year, if the weather permits it.

School Counselor Matthew Shervington dresses as part of the Toy Story cast with his family on October Fun Night. Photograph Courtesy of Kellin McCullough

“I enjoyed seeing our student leaders across the organizations that volunteered stepping up to the plate and being leaders in the school and community,” said Shervington. “The students were smiling, dancing, singing, laughing and just creating a great mood that created a welcoming environment and a sense of normalcy for the night.”

October Fun Night student attendee Sam Elsen represented Student Council and believes that the night was more than successful.

We had a lot of families come out to get candy, and there was a point where we thought we were going to run out…” said Elsen.

SHS Students wait for the next car in the October Fun Night drive-thru to arrive. Photograph Courtesy of Kellin McCullough

Kaylin Waples, a member of Link Crew, described October Fun Night as full of lots of laughs and joy.

“[The event] was just all around a fun night,” said Waples. “Parents and children were polite [and the] volunteers were friendly. I think I can say everyone enjoyed it.”

Kellin McCullough, the Student Council Adviser, was appreciative of the outcome of the night and for all of the help she received.

Thank you to all those that donated to the candy collection – especially the elementary school PTOs. Thank you to Aevidum, Link Crew, Freshman Class Council, National Honor Society, and Whitsons Culinary group for their participation. Thank you to the SYCSD Administration and Maintenance Department for their help ensuring the safety of all.

— Kellin McCullough