Alumni Spotlight – Roberta (Grove) Thoman ‘65

“A good teacher sets out to be good teacher, not a popular one,” says Roberta (Grove) Thoman ’65, reflecting on how she approached her career. To the thousands of alumni privileged to have been in one of her English classes, she earned the rare distinction of being both.

Roberta graduated from Susquehannock in 1965, and her record of achievement was a preview of how she would live her life – with hard work, a commitment to excellence, and a keen sense of what was important.

She was a consistent honor roll student, National Merit Scholarship finalist, and class valedictorian. Roberta also excelled outside the classroom, earning district and regional chorus distinction. She also played volleyball, lettering in 11th and 12th grade, winning the first-ever York County championship, the beginning of a long tradition of excellence in that sport for the “Red and White.” On stage, Roberta was active in school plays, even remembering her role in Elwood Ruth’s production of Pillow Talk. And to fill up her remaining spare time, she was yearbook editor.

Upon graduation, Roberta attended The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va., to study English, taking teaching credits in addition. “The Tribe” had no volleyball team, so she addressed her love of sports by playing varsity field hockey and lacrosse. She was elected to the Mortar Board (a national academic honor society), and was a resident advisor.

After graduating with academic honors in 1969, Roberta returned to Glen Rock and became Mrs. Thoman, marrying her high school sweetheart, Terry, an SHS alumnus who graduated from Gettysburg that same year. She also returned to Susquehannock High School, this time to teach English, immediately becoming involved in student life as yearbook advisor, assistant volleyball coach, and later as head field hockey coach.

After four years, she took a maternity leave – an extended leave of 10 years – to raise her children, Ann and Matt. But teaching was in her blood, and she returned to the classroom in 1983, resuming her active leadership role, this time as set designer for the all-school plays and faculty advisor for the National Honor Society and the yearbook. She retired from Susquehannock in June 2009.

In the community, Roberta was active on the Glen Rock Library Board and with her church choir, Sunday school (as teacher), and administrative board. In retirement, she has started a book club, works occasionally in York’s Historic Central Market, walks on the Rail Trail, and is active on the SHS Alumni Council and Southern York County School District Foundation Board of Directors.

Her favorite retirement benefit is the time she has to visit her children and grandchildren. Ann (’92), like her mother graduated from William and Mary and is raising her children (four and eight) in Fairfax, Va. Matt (’95), another William and Mary alum, is a financial consultant in Washington D.C.

For Roberta, Susquehannock has been a constant, having experienced it from every possible vantage point, as a student, a teacher, a parent, and an active alumnus. “I feel privileged to have been associated with the school in all phases of my life,” she said. I am proud of and honored by my association. I walked into the building each day with the expectation that something good was going to happen. And it usually did.”

Thanks to Roberta (Grove) Thoman ’65 for making us “Warrior Proud.”