The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

The Week in News: Dec. 14-20

Katelin Tyler, News Editor

Keep up with this week’s most current news.

The crumbling city of Aleppo. Photo by: The New Daily

Crisis in Aleppo

It has been a long and strenuous fight for the people of Aleppo, losing thousands of people in a bloody war. Although President Bashar al-Assad has announced the Syrian take over in Aleppo, the city is still in confusion and conflict over the domination and feel the need to honor their city by fighting back. The fight is continuing to get more intense as there is more frequent bombings occurring that are killing the lives of hundreds every day. This isn’t the start of this bloody war; the war has been going on since 2011. With the 5 year battle, Assad has not allowed any humanitarian aid to help the people of Aleppo, and according to The New Daily, they are considering it a “…a complete meltdown of humanity in Aleppo.”

We Might Be on the Brink of Complete Extinction

For years, humans have been taking advantage of the world outside of theirs. The appreciation for animals and plant life has decreased majorly in the people of the world. Most do not understand that without the continuation of animals and plant life, animals may not be the only species going extinct. Animals and plants fuel our everyday life from the food we eat to the air we breath. Our whole life is affected by them, and unfortunately, most are soon going to be extinct because of the way we treat them according to CNN. Species are going extinct at a rate of 100 times faster according to CNN. Fortunately, there is a way to save our planet that does not include everyone going vegan. For example, the climate change and the way we effectively use agriculture can change the world. Also decrease in wildlife crime, like poaching and the deletion of pollution can make a huge difference. If these four tasks can be changed and implemented into a person’s daily routine, extinction will no longer be on our list of fears.

The Reason That Everyone Has The Same Color Eyes

The next time you begin to gloat about your sparkling green and blue eyes, remember that they are actually brown. All human eyes are actually brown, and that blue and green color everyone sees is determined by the pigment melanin that causes a misconception of what the true color is, according to CNN. The more melanin a person has the higher the chance they have brown eyes, due to more light being absorbed. On the other hand, the less melanin you have the more blue will be seen in your eyes as more light is leaving and appearing blue. Now we can all see that eyes may not be as unique as they once were.
The Icons We Have Lost This Year

This year we lost a lot of famous icons that changed and impacted the lives of everyone. Here are a few that are gone but never forgotten.

Alan Rickman best known for his role as Severus Snape in the "Harry Potter" series has died due to a battle with cancer at age 69 on January 14. Photo by: Marie-Lan Nguyen