Bid Farewell to the Chromebooks… For Now

By Katelin Tyler, News Editor

With the weather heating up and the students counting down the days until summer, it is time to return the laptops.

A student successfully interacting on her chromebook during class. Photo Katelin Tyler
A student successfully interacting on her Chromebook during class. Photo Katelin Tyler

Students successfully interacted with the new technology in a new club, Tech Shed. The members of the tech shed are assigned the task to collect all the computers and make sure they are intact for the following year. The Tech Shed will begin their process when the students hand back their Chromebooks May 15 through May 25.

Senior Caitlyn Rassa, a first-year member of the program, is trained for what to look for when handed back a Chromebook.

“When we get all the Chromebooks back, we will start by looking to make sure the cases are intact and not destroyed. We also look to make sure the computer itself is still working,” said Rassa.

There is a difference of opinion when it comes to returning the Chromebooks since some students would like to keep the Chromebook over the summer for entertainment and for the summer work that some teachers will hand out. On the other hand, some students do not want anything to do with the laptop while on break.

Junior Hayden Folfas wants to keep the Chromebook for various reasons.

“I want to keep it over the summer. I think it would be easier than going through the long process again that we had to go through in the beginning of the year. Also, the seniors could hand back theirs this year and then the upcoming freshman would get the seniors laptops,” said Folfas.

Some students, like sophomore Julia Mckenzie, do not want to be held responsible for the laptop,

“I really do not want the Chromebook over the summer because I just think it is too much to keep track of. Also, I think that half of the students might lose it or damage the Chromebook,” said Mckenzie.

Junior Rebecca Woods also is a strong believer in not keeping the Chromebooks,

image
The Chromebook pictured is what is to be expected of every student on return day. Photo Katelin Tyler

“The Chromebooks would be too much for me to keep track of over the summer. I would be afraid that I would lose the charger or break something on the computer, and there would be nobody there to fix it,” said Woods.

The best tip to successfully hand back your Chromebook is to make sure that the case and the charger are intact as well as the software.