Who Will Be the King of Hearts?

Photo by the author.

Photo by the author.

To break up the cold and monotonous winter months of the school year, the King of Hearts fundraising competition is a fun, interactive way to spread school spirit and help a good cause.

In past years, King of Hearts has been a highly-contested title, and the traditional pep rally is always eventful for students. Last year, King of Hearts Caleb Bryant stole the show by singing John Legend’s “All of Me” to his grandmother, Joan Krebs, the former custodian.

2015's King of Hearts Caleb Bryant serenaded his grandmother in front of the student body and faculty. Photo by Grace Burns.
2015’s King of Hearts Caleb Bryant serenaded his grandmother in front of the student body and faculty. Photo by Grace Burns.

Students usually raise donations through collecting cans in decorated boxes, which aim to attract donations over their opponents. This year, donations are a little different; students and staff can either give non-perishable foods or gently-used clothing items. Donations are all given to Southern York County Services or Goodwill, and the student who collects the most wins the competition.

Student council advisor Kellin McCullough hopes for a good turn-out from the candidates in their fundraising.

“I don’t really have a number [for donations] in mind, but anything will be appreciated,” said McCullough.

This year, King of Hearts candidates include: seniors Daniel Stiffler, Kevin Clapp, Brady Gallegos, Jake Smith, Robert Jackson, Nick Chamberlain, RJ Myers, Stephen Rouse, Joey McDonnell, Quinlan Kauffman and Matt Barnhart.

Gallegos plans to do face-to-face fundraising and looks forward to the festivities in February.

“[My goal is] to raise money for a good cause,” said Gallegos. “[I’m looking forward to] the pep rally because the past few years it’s been fun to watch, and I think it will be a good experience.”

Class of 2015's Caleb Bryant wore the King of Hearts sash at the pep rally. Photo by Grace Burns.
Class of 2015’s Caleb Bryant wore the King of Hearts sash at the pep rally. Photo by Grace Burns.

Although spirit day plans are still in the works, junior Kelsey McCullough promises that the prep rally will be exciting for seniors, juniors and underclassmen alike.

“[For] the pep rally this year, we’re doing a lot of new things,” said Kelsey. “We’re going to involve a lot of teachers… there’s going to be a lip-sync battle, which I think is going to be one of the major highlights of the pep rally…”

Candidate donation boxes will be out in the near future for cans and clothing items. The King of Hearts pep rally is scheduled for Friday, February 11 and will be preceded by a week of spirit days for students to participate in.