Jenny Smith Returns to Susky

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

A year has passed since the 2014-2015 school year when junior Jenny Smith contracted Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

After a series of treatments and tests, Smith is now back in school, but with tests still to come in the future.  Smith is currently doing well in school.  “I love being back,” said Smith.  “I really missed this school and my friends.”

Smith is excited about coming back and continuing her schooling at Susquehannock. Photo By: Ariel Barbera
Smith is excited about coming back and continuing her schooling at Susquehannock High School. Photo By: Ariel Barbera

Over the summer, Smith had a lot of schoolwork to make up, but besides the amounts of work she had, she said her summer was good.  Currently in school, she feels comfortable and has gotten a lot of support from students and teachers.

A close friend of hers, junior Emily Hellwig, has stayed in close contact with her and has given her a lot of support.  

“I talk to her every day,” said Hellwig. “I also sit with her at lunch.”

Hellwig and Smith are close friends, and hang out often. Photo By: Ariel Barbera
Hellwig and Smith sit together at lunch every day.  Photo By: Ariel Barbera

Smith has acquired many kinds of support, such as Team Jenny, ever since she fell ill.

Many of Smith’s peers and fellow students participated in Team Jenny events.  “I loved participating last year,”  said Hellwig.  “I bought bracelets and a t-shirt.”

The high school made a lot of fundraiser money for Smith’s treatment.

“I loved hearing about Team Jenny,” said Smith.  “I was so glad to hear about all of that support.”

Many of the school’s staff even participated in Team Jenny, such as history teacher Robert Cousineau.

“I absolutely loved participating in Team Jenny,” said Cousineau. “I think it is very important to support students who are going through something hard like this especially someone like Jenny. Last year, I was her history teacher before she became ill.”  

The cancer Smith had been infected with originates in the lymphatic system.

According to mayoclinic.org, Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is a form of malignant lymphoma distinguished from Hodgkin’s disease, only by the absence of binucleate giant cells.  Symptoms of this cancer include painless, swollen lymph nodes in the neck, chest pain, coughing, or trouble breathing.

“There was a mass in my upper chest, around 15-17 centimeters wide,” said Smith. “There was no pain, but this mass compressed my main vessels.”  Smith was experiencing problems with her lymph nodes swelling.

After going through many tests, Smith is thankfully back in school. She is doing well and is still getting a lot of support.  Smith went to Milton Hershey Hospital to get her tests and treatments done.  Smith took a test on August 25, and her next text will be on September 29.