Indoor color guard takes fourth place at championships

The high school indoor color guard has been working hard three days a week since December in order to prepare for the Keystone Indoor Drill Association Championships, or KIDA.

Photo by: Julie Kobie. The indoor guards line up for awards during the 2013 KIDA Championships competition in Harrisburg.

KIDA is an association that holds competitions for indoor color guard and indoor drumline.  A typical indoor season lasts from December until late March or early April, and championships are held in Harrisburg at the end of the season. This year championships were held on Saturday, April 6.

The indoor color guard performed at noon, spinning various pieces of equipment including flags, rifles, and sabres.  They spun to the song “Jar of Hearts” by Christina Perri, creating a powerful theme about moving on from a negative relationship.

The guard placed fourth out of seven guards, receiving a final score of 83.34 (final scores are calculated after averaging the individual judge’s scores, which range from 1-100).  Allegheny, Cedar Cliff, and Northwest, some other guards in Susquehannock’s division, took places one, two, and three.  Century, Old Mill, and Martinsburg took places five, six, and seven.  These six schools have been competition for  Susquehannock’s guard for years.

For one student in particular, this event marked the end of his high school color guard career.  Championships was the last competition senior Jason Hagel will ever perform at a high school level, and he was pleased with the performance.

“I felt like we worked to a different potential, and it paid off,” said Hagel.

Overall, the Susquehannock Indoor Color Guard placed very well at all competitions, especially Championships, and the season definitely ended on a high note.