Bolio and Mettee Up for the National Merit Scholarship

By Emily Polanowski, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Seniors Cassidy Bolio and Lucy Mettee have been named semifinalists to receive the National Merit Scholarship. 

The National Merit Scholarship Program is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that students can be qualified for if they take the PSAT/NMSQT. 

Approximately 1.6 million high school students enter the program each year, according to nationalmerit.org

Bolio and Mettee join approximately 16,000 Semifinalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program. 

This gives them the opportunity to obtain scholarships worth over $31 million that can be given to them next spring. 

Cassidy Bolio:

Bolio and Mettee are seniors that have been named semi-finalists for the National Merit Scholarship.

Q1-What do you plan on doing after high school and college?

A1-I do not know which college I will be attending yet, but I plan to go into cyber security as a private consultant.

Q2-What should the students know about the scholarship program?

A2-People who are planning on attending state schools should look into the program as they tend to offer more money. And you should apply because, let’s be real, it’s free. 

Lucy Mettee:

A1-I am still in the choosing and applying phase, but right now my top choice is Carnegie Mellon University. Ideally, I would like to be an engineer after college. I am not 100% sure what type of engineer, but currently I am thinking of being a Biomedical engineer with a focus in chemistry and materials.

A2-They should realize that there are a lot of opportunities if you can make semi-finalist, so they should take the junior year PSAT seriously and give it their best shot.