Connor Kernan Makes a Commitment

Alex Martuszewski, Reporter

Junior Connor Kernan has committed to play Division I lacrosse at Cleveland State University.

Cleveland State appealed to Kernan for a multitude of reasons.

“The facility’s are great and so are the coaches. I just felt as if they had everything I was looking for,” said Kernan. 

Once settled in at CSU, Kernan is most looking forward to playing with and against the best players.

“My goals in both college and high school are simple, and that’s to do whatever I can to help the team out,” said Kernan.

Kernan plans on majoring in criminology and intends to join the state police once he graduates.

Connor Kernan plays in last year’s first round states game, edited with the CSU viking head and logo. Photograph by Alex Martuszewski

Kernan, a  junior captain of the varsity lacrosse team, has been playing the sport since the young age of four.

Kernan plays in a varsity game versus West York, two years ago as a freshman. Photograph by Gabby Martuszewski

This has significant meaning for the Susquehannock lacrosse program, according to head lacrosse coach Tom Mayne.

“Connor’s commit means that Susky Lacrosse is able to produce lacrosse players that can play at the highest next level of competition. As a team we are thrilled that he is our goalkeeper and the fact that a DI program recognizes his skill gives us confidence as a team,” said  Mayne.

Kernan says it is a dream come true because he was always surrounded by lacrosse growing up and now he gets to play at the next level.

His fellow teammates, like junior defenseman Daniel Clapp, are expected this success.

“I am not surprised at all that Connor is going D1. He works very hard, and he has great knowledge of the game,” said  Clapp.  

Kernan is looking forward to the next two years of play at the high school level.

“The next two seasons should be interesting. We are under new coaches and pretty much a new starting lineup. Should be a solid next two years,” said Kernan.

Mayne seems to appreciate Connor just as much as the old one.

“Connor’s presence in goal simply makes our defense better. The last line of defense is the goalie, and we know we have the best in the league. He also helps to improve our offense by challenging them to smart and accurate with their shots in practice. We feel as an offense that if we can score on him we can score on anyone,” said Mayne.