Students Give Back for the Holidays

By Alvie McCrum, Reporter

Student Council’s Giving Tree program is seeking donations for Southern York County families that cannot afford gifts for the holiday.

The program provides money and presents for families that cannot afford a Christmas, nor get what they need.

Student Council is collecting money by spreading the word through homerooms in SHS.

In addition, If students want to donate gifts, they can take a star off of the giving tree, buy the item, and return it to room 207.

The program started November 29 and ends December 13.

The “Holiday Share Program” was a big deal and had student council involved this year and had several people involved to help those families.

“The giving tree was made to give those who don’t have a Christmas, a Christmas,” said senior Student Council President Michael Torbert. “Some of us wake up and have presents under the tree, but there’s a lot of people that to nothing and so it was made to change that.”

The giving tree has helped many families in the past few years, but it’s up to the students of SHS to reach the goal of $3,000

Student Council adviser Kellin McCullough believes that the goal of $3,000 is

achievable.

“In the past few years, SHS has reached around $2,500. We’ve just kept that goal because they (SHS students) stayed around the goal in the past,” said McCullough.

There are many beliefs why the giving tree was created, but Abby Gallegos will say from her point-of-view why it was created.

“The giving tree was created to help people in need, and there are people in our community that need our help.”