Alex Rebich: Ahead of the Game

Rebich continues his studies through senior year after his eye-opening college experience. Photo by Abigal Bentz.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Students hear the word “college” almost constantly throughout high school. Therefore, they take interesting classes, visit universities, and ultimately create a graduation project about their professional futures to prepare.

Spending time at a college like Pitt through summer courses helps get students used to college campuses. Photo by Crazypaco via wikimedia.

Still, there are constant questions about college in students’ heads. Which AP courses should I take? Where can I go to school? Am I going to like the school once I start attending? What will I major in? Will I have a minor?

For senior Alex Rebich, some of these questions were clarified after his experience taking college courses at The University of Pittsburgh this summer.

“I wanted to get a head start [in college],” said Rebich. “I furthered my education in the health sciences.”

Rebich was enrolled in preventative medicine and public health courses during his time at Pitt. With energetic professors and classes that furthered his understanding of the field he would like to enter, Rebich’s summer college experience made him more aware of his academic future.

“There are a lot more freedoms and responsibilities,” said Rebich. “I’m ready for them when they come now.”

Summer college courses are an effective way to gain experience, learn about college life, and possibly make a choice on which college to attend. For instance, Rebich is now seriously considering Pitt as his university of choice.

During his time at Pitt, Rebich took advantage of the medical facilities at the university. Photo by Piotrus via wikimedia.

Many colleges have summer programs that will yield college credit with many choices based on various majors. For example, American University in D.C. offers a communication program during the summer. For most universities, one can use the search term “high school students” on the site and find the offered summer programs.

In Rebich’s case, he also had the opportunity to participate in shadow programs. Since he was focused in the health science field, the shadow program included tours of hospitals. This experience was yet another step into a professional future for him.

“[I really liked] the shadow days because I got to follow a professional,” said Rebich. “One day, I would like to be like one of them.”

According to the university’s official site, Pitt’s “Panther Shadow” program has many benefits: real world experience, insight into a particular career path, and resumé boosting.

As a part of his experience, Rebich visited and toured the children's hospital affiliated with Pitt. Photo by Piotrus via wikimedia.
As a part of his experience, Rebich visited and toured the children’s hospital affiliated with Pitt. Photo by Piotrus via wikimedia.

Usually, companies or organizations agree to participate in a university’s program, and students can pick a job that will help them in the future. For example, at New York University, journalism students can spend a day at Good Morning America.

After his taste of college and the professional world this summer, Rebich has a new outlook on his senior year at Susquehannock.

“[I can] manage high school better now,” said Rebich. “And, [my senior year] still needs to be taken seriously.”

Whether one takes AP courses, takes colleges courses in the summer, or opts for dual enrollment senior year, learning more about the college experience is an all-around benefit to high school students.