The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Filed under Commentary

Ed Sheeran Shows Vast Talent on “Divide”

Ed Sheeran's album, ÷ , came out on March 3, 2017, and is the fastest selling album of 2017 so far.

Photo By: @edsheeran on Twitter

In 2005, singer-songwriter sensation Ed Sheeran released his debut album, +, and has helped to reinvent the sound of pop music. Sheeran is known for his ability to combine several different genres into one album, and his new album, ÷, released on March 3, 2017, is no exception.

Sheeran is able to incorporate various styles into this new album in a way that seems flawless and completely normal. The album features “rapping and singing; club music and orchestras; a tin whistle and a bodhran; hallmarks of Irish folk; and a song partly in the Ghanaian dialect Twi.”

One of the first singles Sheeran released from this album was “Shape of You,” and while the song is perfect to sing loudly in your car, it is completely unlike his other albums and songs. It’s a very beat-heavy song that focuses on the “shape” of a girl, and to be honest, I was worried that the rest of the songs on the album would sound just like it.

However, Sheeran never fails to impress, and the rest of the album is completely different from not only “Shape of You,” but also the rest of the album. “Galway Girl” and “Nancy Mulligan,” for example, explore a more Irish, fiddle sound, and songs like “Happier,” “Perfect” and “How Would You Feel (Paen)” are reminiscent of his previous albums in that they are acoustic and lyrically enticing.

One of the best songs from the album is “Supermarket Flowers.” It tells the story of the aftermath of his grandmother’s funeral from the perspective of his mother, and for students like senior Stephanie Gardecki, it’s a very emotional song that brings back memories of lost ones.

“I think it’s so sweet. I love how it sounds. I love how he talks about his mom in it, it’s so sweet. It makes me cry to be honest,” said Gardecki.

Another golden song from the album is “Barcelona.” This song sounds like summer; it makes me want to get up and dance like I’m on the beach in the Caribbean. It’s one of those songs that I can see myself loving for years to come because it is different from most mainstream upbeat songs played on the radio.

“New Man” is full of shade, as he talks about an ex’s new boyfriend and all of his faults. The new boyfriend is a walking cliche, and Sheeran has no mercy in describing what this man is really like. The song is very catchy, and definitely is the perfect song to listen to if your ex moves on to someone new.

÷ captures many different musical styles into one masterpiece of an album, and Ed Sheeran expresses various emotions through these songs. From sappy love songs to shady break-up songs, there is something on this album for everyone.