The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

No Shave November Brings Awareness to Susky

No Shave November is displayed and advertised around the school. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Aevidum has announced a new event for many male teachers to participate in: No Shave November.

No Shave November is when the men will go a whole month without shaving their beards. By the end of the month, and depending if any of the teachers make at least $50 from donations for mini-THON, some teachers will do some crazy things with their beard; these things include dyeing it a funny color or shaving half of it off.

History teacher Andrew Warren advises the club and believes that No Shave November will bring more awareness to cancer.

Members of Aevidum advertised No Shave November hanging posters on the wall. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Members of Aevidum advertised No Shave November by hanging posters on the wall. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

“The goal of No Shave November is to promote cancer awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free. Money from this initiative is donated to organizations that educate about cancer prevention and aid those fighting the battle,” said Warren. “No Shave November is an opportunity for staff members to raise awareness for a worthwhile cause and connect with students.”

Many of the male teachers around the school have started participating and are hoping for a full grown beard by the end of the month.

Guidance counselor Matthew Shervington is excited to participate and is also an advisor for Aevidum.

“Originally, No Shave November was developed to raise awareness with regard to prostate cancer, being the number one cancer in men, same with breast cancer being the number one cancer in women. We’re kind of adapting it here to Susky; we’re looking at so many initiatives to combat cancer,” said Shervington.

Not only are the teachers participating, but many students are as well. Several students have made donations, including the students involved in Aevidum.

“The students have really gotten behind No Shave November and started making donations to teacher jars during the first week of November. Donations can still be made throughout the rest of the month,” said Warren.

Students celebrate No Shave November by donating to and promoting the subject. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Students celebrate No Shave November by donating and promoting the subject. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

No Shave November has been active in other schools before, and Shervington is ecstatic to see the event initiated at Susky.

“Having come from a school before where I participated in this program, I very much love this program because I’ve seen when it’s out in full force; how the kids can get behind it and how it can be a great driving force to contribute money towards Minithon, which is fleshing out here this year,” said Shervington. “Knowing that the kids can get behind it, knowing that the teachers can get behind it, I’ve seen this program out in full force in other buildings, and I was looking forwards and excited for it to come here.”

Senior Patrick McDonald enjoys watching the staff grow out their beards and has thought about donating to some of the teacher jars.

“I think it’s a fantastic cause. I think it’s good that they can make it into a funny thing that people can support for this cause,” said McDonald.

No Shave November will last until the end of the month, and teachers may possibly be coming into school with crazy beards on December 2.