The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

‘Zootopia’ Brings More than Cute Animals

Ariel Barbera, Reporter

In these last few years, Disney has given society memorable movies with deep messages and themes, such as Big Hero 6 and Frozen, that deal with modern issues. In March, Disney continued their line of movies with their new film, Zootopia.

In Zootopia, the main protagonist, Judy Hopps, is the first ever rabbit to join the police force. Since joining, Judy has been facing a wide amount of discrimination from her fellow co-workers and her new boss, Chief Bogo. In order to keep her job, she is assigned with a dangerous case, involving missing predators, to prove to her boss that she is capable of handling her position as a police officer.

Along with Disney’s other movies, Zootopia had a few good messages. The creators of the film made the movie perfect for people of all ages to watch, and they did a great job of fitting themes in there that teenagers and adults would be interested in watching, as well.

Director Byron Howard talks about the plot and messages of the film. Photo Courtesy: Boungawa from Wikimedia Commons

In the film, Zootopia is described as a city where all animals can live together, despite being predator and prey, and it has been Judy’s dream to be a part of Zootopia since she was a child. When she arrives to the city to work for the police, many animals are judging her capability of being a police officer, similar to how she used to be bullied for wanting to be a cop when she was a kid.

Disney found the perfect way to fit discrimination into the film with predators and prey. We first witness signs of discrimination in the film with Judy being judged for wanting to be a cop, but the film goes even farther with another character. The film’s other lead character, Nick Wilde, a sly fox who is forced to help Judy with her case, has dealt with discrimination, as well.

The message Disney means to put out with this film is that discrimination still exists in this country today, and it’s still a major problem. I think Disney’s use of predators and prey was a creative and unique way of showing signs of racism in the film.

Aside from the deep messages the film holds, Zootopia has shown how much Disney keeps improving their animation. Ever since Toy Story came out, Disney and Pixar have been continuously creating new CGI animations.

The animation in Zootopia was so beautifully detailed. From the little details on the characters to the background scenery, the animation in the film is one of Disney’s best works.

I couldn’t help but admire the voice acting, as well. Ginnifer Goodwin did great with voicing the energetic Judy Hopps, while Jason Bateman did an astounding job voicing the mischievous Nick Wilde.

From the amazing storyline to the spectacular animation, Zootopia is a movie worth watching in theaters.

The-Feather-Rate