Stewart Represents Susky in 2015 US Army All-American Marching Band

Stewart gave a brief speech after being formally inducted by the US Army on December 4, 2014. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

Senior Greg Stewart was added to the list of inducted members of the 2015 US Army All-American Marching Band on December 4, 2014.

Stewart joins three other Susquehannock musicians that have been in the band over the course of 14 years. He was inspired by past members of the Susquehannock band that were also selected for the All-American honor: Mark Weaver (2014), Corey Mohar (2013) and Sean Macomber (2007).

The audition process began with a nomination from band director Chris Poole.

Poole has been Stewart’s band director for several ensembles throughout his four years at Susquehannock.

“Perseverance [has helped him] and his own personal practice, private lessons and going out and listening to different players and playing with different groups and ensembles here at school with the jazz band [have helped him as well],” said Poole. “I think saxophone playing probably helps a lot as well because he’s reading both bass and treble clef. There is a wide variety of things that he’s asked to do musically.”

Stewart will be playing the electric bass in the front ensemble of the All-American Band. He has played the bass for nine years and the tenor saxophone for eight. Stewart now plays the bass in orchestra, jazz band and symphonic orchestra while continuing to develop his abilities with the saxophone in concert band.

Having directed Stewart in numerous concerts and performances, Poole knows that Stewart has worked hard to be considered one of the top high school bass players.

“As selective as the process seems to be, Greg is just the top end of high school bass players,” said Poole. “Greg probably plays bass well beyond his years. He’s just really a phenomenal player and musician.”

After the nomination, the application process included a series of applications and audition videos recording his skills and abilities. Students must apply during the spring of their junior year, but do not find out until the July before their senior year.

Being a part of the band includes an all expenses paid trip to San Antonio from December 29 to January 3, performance day. Stewart and the other selected members will rehearse their already memorized show twice a day for the four to five days leading up to their performance. The show will be played during halftime of the All-American Army game in the Alamodome.

Stewart is honored to be a member of such a selective program.

“It means a lot [to be a part of the All American Marching Band]. I’m one of 125 high school students in the country to be selected for this, so it’s pretty cool,” said Stewart. “I’m really excited to do it; it’s going to be fun.”

While spending the majority of his time centered around music, Stewart has developed a strong support system including family, friends and his teachers.

“My friends in band have been very supportive, and Mr. Poole has been super supportive,” said Stewart. “He’s a great band director. He’s really helpful. Whenever I have a question about something, he’ll answer it. He’s come to all of my band events.”

This performance may be Stewart’s last as a part of a marching band. He looks forward to another chance to showcase his talents on the field.

“Band has been a big part of my life all through high school. Just to get to do it again is pretty cool,” said Stewart.

Thousands will attend the game in San Antonio. The US Army All-American football game and halftime show will be broadcasted on NBC January 3, 2015, at 1:00pm ET/12:00 CT.