Youth Wrestling Plans the First Annual Turkey Trot

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

Warrior Youth Wrestling is preparing for their first annual Turkey Trot, a fundraiser consisting of a 6k race on Thanksgiving morning.

While some sleep in and watch the Macy’s Day parade, others will be sprinting, jogging or walking a 6k beginning at 8:00 a.m. The race is organized by Warrior Youth Wrestling.

Wrestling parent Rick Riley has worked with the youth wrestling program to coordinate this fundraiser.

“Having a fundraiser such as the Turkey Trot helps our young wrestlers’ parents make it more affordable to join,” said Riley. “The cost to run our program is over $126 per wrestler. The profits from this fundraiser and others we have reduce the cost to each wrestler to $65 registration fee.”

Students from all schools in the district participated last year. Some families even signed up to run it together. Senior Carly Deter and sophomore Abby Deter ran the 6k last year and plan to register again this year.

Carly Deter saw the Turkey Trot as an opportunity to work out before her Thanksgiving dinner.

“They played a lot of fun music, and it was just a good experience,” said Carly. “I felt like I burned off my turkey dinner.”

The Deters experienced the 6k together but said each of them did it at their own pace. Even though it is a race, the trot allows participants to walk, jog or run the course. The annual Turkey Trot has become a part of participants’ traditions. Some families plan to register every year.

Carly and Abby Deter joined their family and friends to run the Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving. Photo courtesy of Carly Deter

Abby Deter thinks her family will continue to run the 6k each year.

“I think [it’s part of our tradition],” said Abby. “I think we’re going to start doing it every year now.”

The Turkey Trot begins the holiday on a different note focusing more on fitness. It also serves as a way to donate to a school program while also spending time with friends and family.

Carly expressed how the race changed her Thanksgiving experience.

“I definitely would [recommend it],” said Carly. “It kind of changes the atmosphere of Thanksgiving to a healthier day. It was just a really fun way to spend time together.”

Participants in Northern Virginia line up to run their Turkey Trot on November 17. Photo courtesy of Twitter handle @NorthernVAMag
The Turkey Trot is run by people all over the country. The YMCA in Dallas, Texas plans to run a different route for their 47th Annual Turkey Trot this year. Photo courtesy of Twitter handle @dallasnews

The race begins and ends at Susquehannock High School. It is $20 to participate, and the first female and male runner to cross the finish line will receive a cash prize of $50 each. All runners will be given a 1st Annual Turkey Trot t-shirt. You can register online or at the race before 8:00 am. For more information, including online registration, go to http://www.warrioryouthwrestling.org.