“Get Real Day” Returns in December

Photo courtesy of the York JCC.

Photo courtesy of the York JCC.

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Susquehannock hosted “Get Real Day,” a function meant to shatter boundaries between students two years ago, and the school will conduct the event again on December 9 and 11.

The administration partners with the Jewish Community Center in York in order to organize “Get Real Day” effectively. Previously, the organization has collaborated with Central, Southwestern, William Penn, and Eastern. Specifically, Diversity and Organizational Development Director Melissa Plotkin works with the guidance staff to plan the event.

“In a way [the program] brings [students] together to break barriers with other students, so they can see other people for who they are,” said Plotkin. “Sometimes when we don’t know someone… we make assumptions.”

The JCC has aimed to make “Get Real Day” an interesting and dynamic experience that “breaks down walls between groups of students to create safer schools” for fifteen years. The organization aims to stop hate in schools in order to make the scholastic environment a better place to be for everyone. Despite the fact that the program tries to end typecasting, there are some stereotypes about “Get Real Day” itself.

“I think there are sometimes some preconceived notions about what the program will be like ‘Oh, I hear you cry a lot,’” said Plotkin. “What I would want from the student body is to come in prepared to be themselves… and just go into it with an open mind.”

When students attended this event two years ago, many were deeply affected by what they witnessed from their peers. In fact, some vividly remember the events of the day.

Senior Abigail Cox was a peer leader for the previous “Get Real Day,” and overall, she really enjoyed her experience.

“It helped me realize that there’s more to everyone’s story, that there’s more to a person than what meets the eye,” said Cox. “It also helped me find ways to cope with things in a way.”

This year, as opposed to the last time the school hosted this event, only the entire sophomore class will participate. In the 2012 school year, students came from all different grades.

“This year, they’re narrowing [the program] down to one class, and I think that’s the improvement that was needed,” said Cox. “I think keeping it to one grade makes people feel more comfortable with the day in general.”

All last week, students applied to be “peer leaders,” which are, in other words, helpers for the day. Students had to fill out an application in order to be chosen, and guidance counselor Evelyn Kabke was ultimately in charge of who was picked.

“I’m hoping that [students] really gain an understanding of their impact on others,” said Kabke. “Everybody here is valuable, and we want everyone to feel welcome here.”

Despite this early planning for the event, the actual games and activities for the day will remain a secret. Kabke only hinted at icebreakers and stereotype demonstrations.

All the plans activities are set up to show students what is feels like to be judged by peers, so eventually, students will stop judging others.

Senior Anastasia Kuznetsova participated in the previous “Get Real Day,” and she admits that she learned a lot about her peers.

“It was definitely eye-opening, and I was very surprised at how honest people could be and compassionate for each other,” said Kuznetsova. “There’s people in the school each day, and you never think about what they’re experiencing outside of school.”

Because the event was so successful the last time it was conducted at Susquehannock, the administration is excited to bring it back for the students.

“Any positive activities we can bring to the school to benefit students are worthwhile,” said Kabke. “Anything we can do to create a more welcoming environment… really is our goal.”

As students reflect on their previous “Get Real Day” experiences, the sophomore class will have its own opportunities to make memories from the event in December.