Pep Rally Kicks Off the Homecoming Weekend

The 2014 court cheers after the entertainment performances from the band, cheerleaders and teachers. Photo by: Kerrie DeFelice

By Abigail Bentz, Editor in Chief

Student council pulled off a homecoming pep rally with some exciting activities in an attempt to grab students’ attention.

The homecoming festivities for all grades began after tenth period on Friday, October 3 when the school gathered for a pep rally highlighting this year’s homecoming court. The pep rally consisted of penny pong, a teacher relay race, the appearance of a pig, a homecoming court game and performances from both the varsity cheerleaders and the powder puff cheerleaders. All activities were planned by the student council.

The homecoming court took their seats after being announced at the beginning of the pep rally. Photo by: Kerrie DeFelice

Senior Carly Deter was placed on the homecoming pep rally committee in student council.

“We tried to take the focus off of competitions and do more of an entertainment type of thing, so we had penny pong which was more of an entertainment kind of idea, and we brought in a pig which was definitely a new thing,” said Deter.

To grab students’ attention in the beginning of the pep rally, penny pong was planned by math teacher J.C. Lewis. Two of his senior students Alex Palmer and AJ Schaeffer performed the activity while Lewis was the “ref.”

Schaeffer explained how penny pong may or may not have been an illusion to keep students on their toes.

“Penny pong is really like ping pong but instead of using a ball you use a penny without a table, so you’re just hitting a penny in the air… or not,” said Schaeffer.

Following penny pong, the homecoming court was announced by teacher Kevin Lawrence, and shortly after staff members performed a relay competing in pairs.

The relay was sophomore Tyler Williams favorite part of the pep rally; however, she thought more focus should have been placed on the court.

“The one thing that I think really could be improved upon was getting to know the homecoming court,” said Williams. “I felt like that was a little slow.”

The losing pair of teachers were asked to feed a live pig a slice of apple using only their mouths. Those teachers were Brian Wingert and Laura Krotzer. The pig was a new idea from council to create some more excitement for the student body.

The pig caught Schaeffer’s attention.

“The pig was interesting because it’s never really been done before, so it sparked many of the seniors’ attentions… because it was a first for them,” said Schaeffer.

Taking up a large majority of time, the pig was escorted out of the gym and the homecoming court quickly did their game which included a series of subtly embarrassing yes or no questions. The court game was followed by the announcement of spirit winners for homecoming spirit week along with the drawing of a free prom ticket.  Senior Tyler Ritz was the lucky student drawn for the prom ticket.

Student council plans to continue planning pep rallies with more entertainment activities.

According to Deter, activities for the pep rallies are scheduled with the intention of getting the student body as engaged as possible.

“I think we just really want to keep the pep rally moving and make sure everyone has a good time and gets involved in it,” said Deter.

While it is impossible to please every student, the council will continue to try as they plan future pep rallies.

The court sways together while the student body sings the alma mater to close the pep rally. Photo by: Kerrie DeFelice