How to Thrive in High School

Seniors Casey Torbert and Mollie Larum have found their niche in Mr. Myer’s art classes. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

By Abigail Bentz

Surviving high school is one thing, but succeeding during your four years proposes a much greater challenge.

After four years at Susquehannock, I wish someone would have given me a guide that provided me not only with the basics of getting through high school, but also the advice that allows you to thrive. So here are a few tips that can help anyone make the best of their years in high school.

Tip #1 – Get involved

While I am sure you have all heard this at some point, there truly is something for everyone. Our school does an amazing job of providing a club, sport or organization that accommodates all students. We have recently created a unity club, added two language clubs and a badminton club. Existing organizations include student council, class council, fellowship of christian athletes, musical ensembles, community service club, theater and plenty more. Not only do these clubs build a college résumé, but they also build friendships. Clubs bring together students with common interests which often results in long term friendships. I’ve also discovered that getting involved has taught me more about myself than any of my classes. Interaction with other students really helps you discover what kind of person you want to become.

Tip #2 – Take a variety of classes

High school is all about finding what you’re good at. In order to accomplish this, you have to step outside of your comfort zone. That means once you get all of your required classes out of the way, gym, health, etc., branch out and take classes that differ completely from one another. Electives are there for you to explore! The worst that can happen is you figure out what you dislike and can cross that subject off the list. So I challenge you to take an art class while taking a business elective, and then maybe throw a consumer science in there.

Junior RJ Myers has taken an interest in video production this year. Photo by: Abigail Bentz
Cooking classes are available to all students and vary in difficulty. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

Tip #3 – Keep an open mind

Don’t overlook things like pep rallies, Homecoming or spirit weeks. Any chance you get to be an active member of the student body, take it! Freshmen year is the perfect time to take advantage of every opportunity. Take Homecoming for example. Realize early on if a school dance is your thing. If it is, then you’ll be glad you realized before you missed out of on one of the six opportunities you get to go to a high school dance. My advice is to try everything so you don’t graduate with any regrets. It really is what you make of it, so go all out.

Tip #4 – Make your own path

Freshman year, it’s difficult to know which path to take. The goal is to have a clear idea of who you are and what you want to do after graduation. Don’t just sign up for a class because tons of your friends are in it. Really challenge yourself to focus on what will help you long term. Choose your own path starting freshman year. Individuality is hugely important to discovering yourself.

Expanding your schedule may include taking some art classes taught by Mr. Myers. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

Tip #5 – Focus on the present

Take high school day by day. Don’t worry about what you can’t control, and enjoy what is going on in the present. Focus your attention on the events of today. I’m not saying don’t study for the test that is next week, but don’t spend your entire day looking forward to an event scheduled for the future. Especially don’t spend your whole day here thinking about leaving. Four years go surprisingly quickly, so enjoy every activity, event and day that you spend in high school.

Check the guidance office for more information about clubs, sports and other organizations. Guidance counselors are more than happy to help students find a range of classes that provide a great experience. Other than that, just listen for announcements about any event that you can attend. Make the best of these years.