Categories:

Alumnus Tim Bonitz returns as Assistant Principal

SHS Assistant Principal Timothy Bonitz.
SHS Assistant Principal Timothy Bonitz.
Delone Catholic High School

Another alumnus has found his way back to work in Susquehannock’s halls as assistant principal, another Bonitz no less, Tim Bonitz.

After beginning his career in sales and marketing, Bonitz’s passion for sports led him to begin coaching volleyball for SHS. His passion for coaching and sports led him to take the position of Athletic Director for Delone Catholic High School. After eight years at Delone, he decided to take the position of Assistant Principal here at Susquehannock.

With the promotion of Dr. James Sterner as Principal of Susquehannock High School after the departure of Dr. Kevin Molin, a vacancy was created for the position of Assistant Principal. Bonitz. 

His choice to move to SHS from Delone took a lot of work.

“I had envisioned myself returning at some point if the opportunity presented itself,” Bonitz said. “I really did not think it would be this soon, and like I said, I was extremely happy at Delone.”

SHS Science Teacher Jennie Bonitz (Courtesy of LinkedIn)

His wife, SHS science teacher Jennie Bonitz, encouraged him to apply for the position.

“Coming home to be an assistant principal at Susquehannock High school is honestly a dream job for [Tim],” Bonitz said. “It’s something we had talked about often even before the position became available. When the position became available, we prayed about it, and I encouraged him to apply.”

His colleagues are looking forward to the upcoming years working alongside him. His fellow Assistant Principal Jennifer Smith is encouraged by her experience with him so far.

“He’s a wonderful person, he loves kids, [and] he’s very genuine,” Smith said. “He is very helpful and kind, and he is always working for students’ best interests.” 

However, there are challenges that he will face that will test his readiness for the new position.

“While there has been a learning curve with practices and procedures, ultimately I feel like I am acclimating fairly well to a new educational environment,” Bonitz said. “This is a credit to Dr. Sterner and Ms. Smith for getting me up to speed and their patience with all of the questions I have asked since August.

“Our biggest goal is keeping kids safe and learning,” Smith said. “The biggest hurdle to that is time. We never have enough.”

Working with her spouse differs from what Jennie Bonitz is accustomed to. 

Working at the same building as my spouse has taken some adjustment, but I am looking forward to working with him in the years to come,” Jennie Bonitz said. 

“My goals for this year are to learn the procedures and practices of the district as quickly as possible, continue to get to know the students, support our amazing faculty and staff, and also build positive relationships with families and community members,” Bonitz said.