Categories:

Link Crew Welcomes Freshmen to SHS

Link Crew Welcomes Freshmen to SHS

Senior and Link Crew Leader Micah Kaiser has spent days training for the arrival of the freshman.

His goal is to help these new students get acclimated to the new building, environment, peers, teachers, and everything else that comes along with a new school.

He knows the nerve-wracking experience of leaving the middle school and coming to SHS– just four years before he was in the freshmen’s shoes.

He knows how it feels to change environments completely, but he also knows what it feels like to have someone there to help; someone who knows what he is going through and someone who cares.

Kaiser understands the vast importance of Link Crew in making the freshmen feel comfortable in their new setting.

“Link Crew helps the freshmen to understand the concept of a high school, as opposed to middle school and elementary school,” Kaiser said. “It helps them make some initial friends, learn some names, and, most importantly, feel like they are meant to be here.”

Photograph Courtesy of Abigail Grove

Freshman Natalie Schanberger sees the advantages of having Link Crew as a new student adapting to the fresh environment.

“The Link Crew Leaders are great,” Schanberger said. “They’re pretty helpful, and I know a lot of freshmen appreciate knowing that they have that support.”

With his involvement in the Link Crew program and countless interactions with the freshmen, Kaiser has many insights into the freshman class.

He notices a great strength in the class of 2028.

“A lot of them are energetic,” Kaiser said. “There’s a lot of energy.”

Freshman Olivia Mohney agrees that one of the biggest strengths of the class is the spirit of the students.

“The class of 2028 is definitely wild and crazy, and we aren’t always the best at listening,” Mohney said. “But we help and care for each other when times are tough. We are a bright group of students when given the chance.”

Photograph Courtesy of Abigail Grove

Kaiser remembers challenges he faced during his own freshman year and how his peers and Link Crew helped him overcome them.

“One of my biggest things: I didn’t have a single friend in my homeroom,” Kaiser said. “I embarrassed myself on the first day. It was really hard to try and make friends.”

In this all-new environment, Kaiser joined his peers in taking the first step to reach out.

“I joined their little group, and then I had a pretty good freshman year,” Kaiser said. “And Link Crew was able to contribute to that.”

Despite the many challenges that come along with a new environment, Kaiser says there are also many great new aspects of SHS  to look forward to.

“The great teachers; joining clubs, joining sports– just getting involved,” Kaiser said.

Schanberger commented on the opportunities in the high school.

“The high school gives a decent chance to explore students’ creativity and interests, which I really appreciate,” Schanberger said.

Kaiser gives advice on how his fellow upperclassmen can help freshmen who are adjusting to the high school experience.

“For some of them that are struggling to make some friends, they could be a friend,” Kaiser said. “They can also help you. You don’t know where your class is, you don’t know your teachers, the upperclassmen know a lot of your teachers, so they can help guide you through that.”

Freshman Libby Cowx knows the importance of having someone experienced to help out when taking the plunge into a new environment.

“It’s not the upperclassmen’s responsibility to adjust us to the school,” Cowx said. “If they want to go out of their way to help, that’s kind of them! They can try to introduce themselves to us! Many underclassmen are still nervous, so an experienced high schooler could help with their knowledge.”

With construction continuing to reshape the school and environment, there are big changes for all students beginning the school year.