Glatz Chats Unified Bocce

The members of the 2024 Unified Bocce team pose for a team picture.
Photograph Courtesy of Emily Landis.
The members of the 2024 Unified Bocce team pose for a team picture. Photograph Courtesy of Emily Landis.

The Courier chatted with Unified Bocce team member Ally Glatz about the creation of the Unified Bocce team. The Unified Bocce team scrimmages today and plays their fist competition against Spring Grove away on Monday.

What is Unified Bocce?

“Unified Bocce is a sport where we throw balls,” Glatz said. “So first, we would throw one ball and then you have another ball that is a different size and different color. You basically have to throw it to the smaller ball and see how close you can get.”

Why did you join?

“I helped with Unified Track last year, and I just loved all the people on the team and a lot of them are playing Unified Bocce Ball,” Glatz said. “It’s such a loving community and I love everyone on the team.”

Why is a team like this important for the student body?

“It shows inclusion,” Glatz said. “Some students on the team have grown up in a different way and they get bullied and it just shows how everyone is the same and we can all just be friends … but it also shows how nobody should be treated differently and we can all just be together as one and all be friends. I think it’s important for everyone to know that.”

Can anyone join the team?

“Yes, anybody can join the team… as long as you’re a student at Susquehannock High School, you can join the Unified Bocce ball team.”

Is there anything else you would like to talk about about Unified Bocce?

“I think it’s going to be a really good time and everybody should support and just follow Unified Bocce.”

Is there anything you can do to help support the team?

“We do have a club called Unified Club that you can join,” Glatz said. “It’s just that we meet once a week, or once a month, sorry on Wednesdays. You can join if you want to help support.”