Your college checklist

Photo By: Hailey Page

With graduation fast approaching, seniors are getting ready for their last free summer before college next fall; however, there is still a lot to plan and to accomplish before entering college.

Here is a checklist of things to do before school next fall for all those unorganized, stressed out graduates-to-be.

Send Transcripts. On the Senior Survey, all seniors should have named their college destination and electronically signed to give the guidance office permission to send your final transcripts into the school of your choice. However, mistakes can be made, so I would check-in with the guidance office a few weeks after graduation just to ensure everything has been sent in to the school you plan to attend in the fall.

Meet Roommates. It is important to get to know one’s roommate before you arrive at college. Nothing is worse than figuring out your roommate is a complete psycho who watches you while you sleep. So, my advice to you would be to, if possible, meet up for coffee or lunch, if possible. If you and your roommate live too far away, you could always try Skyping or simply text messaging to get to know them better. I know this sounds girly, but make sure you guys coordinate colors and decorations in the room. No one wants to walk into your dorm room to find that the rainbow has somehow thrown up all over the place.

Get Financial-Aid packages together. A huge, very important thing to do before going off to college is to make sure you have your financial aid package together. One’s school should send out the financial aid that is available to you. Furthermore, applying for student loans at local banks is crucial to being able to get through college. However, one must do some research first on which bank offers the lowest interest rates and other benefits.

Sign up for all college essentials. When entering a new campus for the first time, most students receive ID cards that are able to hold charge accounts, prepaid dollar amounts for cafes around campus, meal plans, and a variety of other essentials. Make sure to get one and sign up for all the features that come with it! ID cards are a college student’s lifelines to getting around campus, and, let us face it, a lot of us will forget bank cards or money when out and about. It’s easier just to use the ID card! Furthermore, there are other important things to sign up for, such as emergency text messages or parking passes; make sure you sign up for them all before it’s too late!

Enjoy your last summer before college. Lastly, just make sure to enjoy your last summer before we all start new chapters in our lives. Spend time with friends and family, have a blast at senior week, and go on adventures with friends. Lastly, don’t let the summer slip through your fingers.