World Shocked by Kobe Bryant’s Untimely Death

Kobe Bryant takes the spotlight before his final NBA game. Photograph Courtesy of Zedge via zedge.com

Bleacher Report

By Connor Lucich, Reporter

The entire world recieved a shock on Sunday, Jan. 26.

NBA legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter, Gianna, and seven others suffered an untimely death after a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California.

Kobe was 41, and Gianna was 13.

Altogether, nine lives were taken in this tragic event.

Kobe and Gianna’s death have touched the lives of millions.

Kobe’s death especially touched the lives of those who live in the city of Los Angeles, since Kobe played for the Lakers for 20 years.

Many student fans have suffered heartbreak over the past few days.

Junior Andrew Fuller said, “I was a huge Kobe fan growing up. I watched a lot of his games and appreciated what he did for the NBA for two decades. This loss will affect me for a while.”

The entire NBA has paid homage to the recently fallen legend, taking eight and 24 second violations to honor his two retired numbers. 

The Lakers played for the first time since Kobe’s death on Friday, and they spent the entire pregame honoring him. 

They made a memoriam for him, honoring the blood, sweat and tears he sacrificed for his faithful Lakers franchise.

Another NBA legend by the name of LeBron James paid homage in a different way. 

The NBA gave him a card to read off of, but he decided to honor Kobe in his own way and in his own words. 

The NFL hosted their 54th annual Super Bowl on Sunday in which they honored him during the pregame rituals. 

In fact, several teams in the NBA, the Dallas Mavericks, for example, have decided to retire the No. 8 and No. 24, so another player will never wear those numbers in respect for Kobe.

Also, on the NFL Honors on Saturday, the great Peyton Manning also shared a few words that he had on the topic of Kobe’s death.

What makes Kobe more legendary is that people who aren’t into professional basketball still know his legacy.

Senior Joshua Schmidt said, “I find it amazing that people don’t even have to know what basketball is, and they still know who Kobe is. In my opinion, that is what makes a legend, and that’s what I think Kobe is.”

NBA fans have started to hold a petition to have the league change their logo to honor Kobe.

The current NBA logo is for another Lakers legend, Jerry West, but fans want it changed to Bryant.

In fact, this petition has already found 3 million supporters in just over a week since his death.

Outside of Staples Center, the Lakers’ home arena, a trash can was seen with several paper balls surrounding it, and on the can, it wrote, “You know what to do.”

This was referencing the celebrated tradition of the people that yell “KOBE!” whenever they shoot a paper ball into a trash can.

Even unbiased people still admire his greatness.

Senior Brayden Heath said, “I was never a big fan of basketball or Kobe, but I still respect and admire the imprint he left behind on not just the game of basketball, but on today’s age and society.”

Love him or hate him, there is no denying Kobe’s legacy and greatness that he left behind, and he will be dearly missed for years to come.