Boys Basketball Looks to Have Success

By Blake Ramey

Finishing tryouts the week before Thanksgiving break,  the  boys basketball team scrimmaged against York Catholic on Saturday, Nov. 23.

Junior Nick Holloway is ready for the season to start. 

“The scrimmage got us prepared, and we’re feeling confident as a team going into the season,” said Holloway. 

The team looks to remain strong with an infusion of youth after the graduation of several seniors that rotated in and out of the starting lineup.

Last season, senior Avery Ghant started for the first and last time in his high school basketball career. He was cheered on by his teammates and the student section attending the game.
Photograph by Stephanie Graffin

Junior Kadeem Stewart looks to put in valuable minutes off the bench for varsity and has big goals for the season.

“Postseason would be our goal if we play our best as a team,” said Stewart.

The team has been running open gyms since late October in preparation for the season. 

This group is strongly led by several seniors.

On Friday, Dec. 6, the team takes on the Southwestern Mustangs at home at 7:30 p.m. 

Last season, senior Kenny Rhyne, walks through his teammates, giving them high fives as his name is called for the starting line-up. All boys basketball seniors had the opportunity to start in their last game of high school basketball.
Photo by Stephanie Graffin

Sophomore Zach Pecunes feels confident about the team’s depth going into the season. 

“We got some good players that can help us win some games and make a run,” said Pecunes. 

The basketball team is hoping for a postseason run after missing the postseason the past couple of years.