Track Team Triumphs Over Gettysburg

Runners from both Eastern York and Susquehannock start for the 800m run. Photo courtesy of @warriortrackandfield_ on Instagram.

By Ian Achterberg, Reporter

The Varsity Track & Field team traveled to Gettysburg High School for their annual divisional clash on April 2.
The two teams have had a tumultuous history with Gettysburg, earning convincing victories over the past two years for both teams.
This year, however, the Susquehannock boys finished on top with a score of 80-70.
With top performances from the boys relays, where they outran Gettysburg to earn first place in all three, they were able to pull ahead.
Other impactful placements were sophomore Luke Immel in the 110m high hurdles, junior Mateo Vega in the 800m, senior Michael Boampong in pole vault and senior Kenny Rhyne in long jump and triple jump, all coming in first place individually.

The girls were not able to see as much success, ending with a score of 78-72.
Despite the tough loss, there still were many highlights on the girls side.
Susquehannock was able to pull ahead in the 4x100m relay, as well as earn first in many other events.
Coming individually in first were sophomore Julia Bittner in the 110m high hurdles, freshman Sabreena Fahringer in the 100m and 200m dash, senior Allison Rodgers in pole vault, senior Meagan Brose in shot put and senior Julia Kelbaugh in both discus and javelin.

The boys hope to continue this streak next season, and the girls hope to join in.
With the 60th Annual Herb Schmidt Relays at York Suburban Friday, April 5, the top athletes from both the sides of the track team hope to improve their times and distances.
In the following week, Susky is home against the Dover Eagles and then against New Oxford Colonials, on April 9 and 11 respectively, where the Warriors hope to chase the division title.