Styling Your Dorm/Room? We’ve Got You Covered!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Ryan Hartley, Photography Editor

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

First, on our list on the journey to a better dorm, make sure you’re organized! Adding simple calendars and other organizational devices can add style, depth, and sanity to your room or dorm. This one was from the Target dollar section! Small or large, any calendar is sure to keep you on top of your game, or at least make it look like it.

Product(s) shown: Calendar (Target/$1)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Bringing all of the clothes in that closet out into the open is the perfect idea for any room, adding texture and depth to your space. Of course, you have room! Move that storage unit or dresser inside of the closet your clothes were in. Doing this also keeps the mugginess of a closet from reaching your clothes, and can improve your organization since they will always be in your sight!

Product(s) shown: Clothing Rack (with mesh shoe rack) (Target/ approx. $40)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

RUGS! They add texture, style, and can adjust the entire color scheme to any dorm/room. They create comfort in a space of hardwood floors or, in which many dorms have, concrete flooring. They don’t have to be large, maybe start out with a simple accent rug and move up to a full carpet. Pro-tip, place it underneath the nightstand to create a “homey” feel, adding some pillows to the bottom to even add to the effect.

Product(s) shown: Pillowcases (IKEA / approx. $3 each) Accent Rug (Five Below / $5)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Adding some comfy, cozy bedsheets is a necessity for any room with a bed. Try for organic materials with natural dyes to keep from irritating sensitive skin. If you can, sustainably sourced materials/textiles are always the better options!

Product(s) shown: Organic Sheet Set (Target / approx. $25.00-$30.00)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Of course, we want our space to feel like home, whether it is actually home or temporary dorm space. Adding cozy candles, books, and pictures that relate to home can help add to the goal of creating a comfortable space. Of course, some universities prohibit certain items like candles, so make sure to check guidelines!

Product(s) shown: Three-wick Candle (Marshall’s / approx. $12.00) Books (Yard sales / approx. $1.oo each)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Having plants and other greenery in the room, that are alive, are proven to show benefits in air quality and overall health. According to an NBC article, plants achieve this health standard by releasing oxygen into the environment, and they continue to cite NASA for their research finding that house plants can remove up to 87% of air toxins in 24 hours. If you have the famed “green-thumb”, opt for some house plants! However, as seen in the graphic above, artificial vines and other plants are still an option to at least achieve the aesthetic goal of having greenery in a comfortable space.

Product(s) shown: House plant (Rosemary&Rust / approx. $10.00) Hanging house plant (Home Depot / approx. $14.00) Artificial vines (Amazon / $12.00 for a pack of 8)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Adding wall art/tapestry is an obvious, necessary addition to any teen dorm/room space. Go for something that lines up with your interests aesthetically and just simply makes you feel at home. Try adding it to a wall behind furniture to avoid awkward space at the bottom, should the wall art not be large enough to reach cieling to floor.

Product(s) shown: Tapestry (Amazon / approx. $16.00)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

Storing jewelry can be known to be a hassle; but, not anymore! Buy yourself a simple corkboard to hang large, small, and in between jewelry from along with your other bulletin-worthy items. Try sticking it next to a desk/vanity space for easy access.

Product(s) shown: Corkboard (IKEA / approx. $5.00)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

If you are living in 2019 and are pretty tech-savvy, you most likely have a million and one wires to find a space for. Opt for a simple decorative basket to a place near outlets that you often use to plug in those chargers! It’s an easy and stylish way to add storage to any room/dorm.

Product(s) shown: Decorative basket (Target / $3)

Photo and Design by Ryan Hartley

The last item on this list is room sprays! Perfect for those spaces that candles can’t make do. They are perfect for using essential oils, or simply refreshing a space without the environmental defects that Lysol or Febreeze can often create. They don’t have to be expensive either! This article proves that you can find a lux room item for a cheaper price that fits in a teenager’s budget.

Product(s) shown: Lavender room sprays (Marshall’s / approx. $6.00 each) Orange amber room spray (Target / $8.99)

About the Writer
Ryan Hartley, Photography Editor

Senior Ryan Hartley is a fashion/portrait photographer and writer for the Susquehannock Courier this year. He loves to listen to music, shop for new clothing...