Classic Movies Everyone Should Watch

By Abby Paterniti, Reporter

What makes a movie a Classic?

Movies have made their mark on history since 1888 when the first motion picture was made. A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style, and in this case, any genre could be categorized as a classic. The movies below are from a variety of genres and decades but can all be labelled as a classic.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off  (1986)

Chicago teen Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) has an exceptional skill in skipping school and getting away with it. With the intention of cutting class one last time before graduation, Bueller gets his best friend, Cameron Frye (Alan Ruck), and his girlfriend, Sloane Peterson (Mia Sara), in on the day off. Bueller calls in sick, “borrows” his Frye’s dad’s Ferrari and embarks on a journey through the streets of Chicago. On Bueller’s trail is his high school principal, principal Rooney (Jeffrey Jones), determined to catch him in the act and expel him.

This movie embodies the theme of kids being smarter than parents, creating a fun movie that any group of people could enjoy. So if you ever feel like taking a day off from work or school, then watch “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” to learn some of the best tips on how to not get caught.

The Breakfast Club (1985)

During a Saturday detention at Glenbrook North High, the Jock (Emilio Estevez), the Princess (Molly Ringwald), the Brain (Anthony Michael Hall), the Criminal (Judd Nelson), and the Basket Case (Ally Sheedy) began their morning living within their own social classes, but as the day went on they became closer than they ever imagined. Each of them has the chance to tell their story for how they got into detention, causing the others to view them differently. As the day ends and they are released from their power-hungry Principal’s watch, they question whether school will ever be the same.

The Breakfast Club is an iconic image of high school life during the 1980’s, this coming-of-age comedy defined an entire generation and set the stage for future teen movies to come.

Sixteen Candles (1984)

Birthday girl, Samantha Baker (Molly Ringwald) is prepared to make the best out of her sixteenth birthday… a birthday which everyone in her family forgot about. Baker is the average teenage girl who endures creepy freshmen, spoiled siblings, confused parents and the “perfect girl’” who stands in the way between her and the boy of her dreams. One complication after the other, her birthday keeps getting worse. It isn’t until the next day when everyone remembers Sam’s birthday, and the “perfect girl” doesn’t seem to be a threat after all.

Sixteen Candles is a classic 80’s teen movie; from the style to the cheesy humor, it is definitely a movie which set the tone for humorous teenage movies. If you ever feel like you’re having a bad day, then watch Sixteen Candles, and you will realize that maybe your life couldn’t be worse than Samantha Baker’s.

Breakfast At Tiffany’s (1961)

Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) is a naive and eccentric young woman who spends her days wondering around New York City. She aspires to impress others with her flashy clothes and classy style which is hiding the fact that she has practically no money and almost nothing to call her own. She becomes intrigued by a young man who recently moved into her building, and the closer they become, the more secrets they learn about each other.

The Truman Show (1998)

Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) does know it, but everything happening in his life is part of a massive TV set. The Executive Producer, Christof (Ed Harris) created “The Truman Show,” which is a live broadcast of every move that Truman makes, all caught on hidden cameras. Christof is attempting to control the way Truman thinks and feels by controlling everything he does, he even removed the love of his life, Sylvia (Natascha McElhone), and replaced her with Meryl (Laura Linney) for better content. As Truman gradually discovers the truth, he must decide whether or not he wants to play along, due to him not understanding how living a real life would feel like.

This is a great movie for both Jim Carrey fans and people who enjoy a good science fiction movie.

Holes (2003)

A young boy named Stanley Yelnats (Shia LaBeouf) was wrongfully convicted of stealing an orphanage donation and must choose between going to jail or Camp Green Lake. Stanley decided to go to the camp, which is actual a labour camp for young children to dig for hidden treasure.

Forrest Gump (1994)

Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) is slow minded but has never thought of himself at a disadvantage, and thanks to his supportive mother (Sally Fields), he is able to live an optimistic life full of adventure. He dominated gridiron as a college football star, fought in Vietnam, was the Captain of a shrimp boat and made an impact on a few historical moments. Forrest is able to inspire people with his childlike optimism, but there is one person who Forrest cares about the most that may be difficult to save – his childhood love Jenny (Robin Wright).

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

A young man named, Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sentenced to two life terms in prison for the murder of his wife and her lover. However, Andy is innocent and was framed for the crimes. While serving out his sentences in Shawshank Prison, he forms a friendship with Red (Morgan Freeman) and his gang, experiences the brutality of life in prison, helps the Warden and conducts a secret plan to escape within 19 years of serving time.

Groundhog Day (1993)

A weather man named Phil Connors (Bill Murray), finds himself reliving the same day (Groundhog Day) over and over again when he goes to the small town of Punxsutawney to film a report about their annual Groundhog Day. His situation drives him nearly to insanity until he sees a way to turn his situation into an advantage.

The Godfather (1972)

This movie is a mob-drama based on the book “The Godfather” written by Mario Puzo. The powerful Italian-American crime family lead by Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando), and when Don’s youngest son, Michael (Al Pacino), joins the Mafia, he becomes involved in the cycle of violence and betrayal. Michael attempts to keep a normal relationship with his wife, Kay (Diane Keaton); he finds himself diving deeper into the family business.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Will Hunting (Matt Damon), a janitor at MIT, hides his genius-level IQ from the world due to his misguided childhood. After Will solves a difficult graduate-level math problem, his skills are discovered by professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard), who decided to help Will reach his potential. After Will is arrested for attacking a police officer, the professor makes a deal to get leniency for him if he will get treatment from the therapist, Sean Maguire (Robin Williams).

Fight Club (1999)

A depressed man (Edward Norton) who suffers from insomnia met a strange soap salesman named Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) and soon finds himself living in Tyler’s apartment after his apartment is destroyed. The two men find themselves bored and decided to form an underground club with strict rules, where men come to fight to liven up their boring lives. Their partnership comes to an end when Marla (Helena Bonham Carter), attracts Tyler’s attention.

Whiplash (2014)

An ambitious young drummer, Andrew Nieman (Miles Teller), is pursuing to rise to the elite music conservatory. Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons), a music instructor known for his terrifying teaching methods, discovered how talented Andrew was and transferred him into the jazz ensemble. Andrew’s passion to achieve perfection quickly spirals into an obsession, as his new teacher pushes him to the brink of both his ability and his sanity.