Boys Basketball Falls to West York

By Abby Paterniti, Reporter

Junior Zach Green awaits a rebound during warm-ups. Photograph by Abby Paterniti

Both junior varsity and varsity boys basketball played against West York on Dec. 13.

The J.V. Game

The JV game was close until the fourth period when West York took control.

The fourth period began with West York in the lead, 44 – 47.

After lay-ups from sophomore Kadeem Stewart, junior John Lippy and sophomore Nick Holloway, the score became 52 – 47.

After a three point shot made by West York, they called a time-out with two minutes and forty-three seconds left in the game.

After a lay-up was made by West York, junior Matt Sisler came out of the game with a shoulder injury – the score was tied 52 – 52.

With 30 seconds left in the game, West York stole the ball from a poor pass made by Holloway, made a layup  and then made score 52 – 54.

The Warriors then started with the ball and another poor pass, allowed West York to steal the ball from junior Alex Martuszewski.

West York was granted a free-throw, making the score 52-55.

With eleven seconds on the clock, West York called for another time-out, and Sisler joined the game.

With the clock running out, each play was crucial for the Susquehannock boys to win the game.

With two seconds left, Sisler passed the ball to junior Jacob Alexander.

Alexander attempted a three-point shot, but his efforts fell short with the buzzer ending the play.

The final score for the JV game was 52 – 55 with West York taking the win.

Sophomore Aaron Filsinger takes a shot at warm-ups. Photograph by Abby Paterniti

The Varsity Game

After JV’s unfortunate loss, West York’s players and fans were riled up.

The first period began with West York winning the toss and obtained control of the ball.

Junior Nolan Holloway blocked a pass between two West York players and was able to make a three pointer, starting the game off with a 3 – 0 lead.

After a lay-up made by senior Will Ogude, West York shot a two-point shot and made two free-throws; the score was then 5 – 4.

With five minutes and six seconds left in the first period, West York had made their second three point shot.

After twenty seconds of West York trying to make another play, Ogude was able to steal the ball and make a lay-up, making the score 7 – 6.

With the Warriors attempting to make a play, West York was able to steal the ball from Ogude.

Although West York was unable to make a lay-up, they made a three point shot.

With three minutes and sixteen seconds left in the first period, West York started the play at the foul line.

Number 10 on the opposing team passed to number 22, 22 returned the pass to 10 and then attempted to pass to 15, but Holloway interfered with the pass and moved the ball down to the other side of the court where he was able to make a three point shot.

Two minutes left in the first period, and the score was 12 – 11.

Nolan Holloway had once again obtained control of the ball, he had attempted to make a lay-up but missed the shot and York stole the rebound.

West York moved the ball to the other side of the court and was able to make a lay-up, making the score 12-13.

With a minute in the first period ticking down, York was able to make a three point shot and a lay-up.

The final score for the first period was 12 – 18.

Susquehannock started with possession over the ball in the second period, freshman Jalen Franklin passed to junior Gavin Held who then made a lay-up.

Ogude had attempted to make a lay-up, but the ball went foul, giving York possession of the ball.

Ogude then blocked a pass between two York players, and York shortly stole the ball back from Ogude but missed a lay-up.

With six minutes on the clock, a dead ball was called on the Warriors; after a time-out called by York, the ball would be in their possession.

Senior Kenny Rhyne stole the ball from West York, and he passed the ball to Holloway, who then passed the ball to Held, allowing Held to make a lay-up.

With five minutes and twenty two seconds on the clock, the score was 16 – 21.

After York had made a lay-up, the ball was in Ogude’s possession. York stole the ball from Ogude but missed a lay-up as the ball was stolen back.

The Warrior fans went wild in support of Ogude stopping York’s play.

After Holloway’s missed lay-up, York made both free throws, making the score 18 – 25.

The second period came to an end with York making three layups; the score was then 18-31.

Period three started with York having possession over the ball.

After a layup made by Franklin, York gained control of the ball and made a lay-up and then a free-throw.

Franklin then took possession of the ball and made a three-pointer, taking the score to 23 – 34.

Held pushed a York player, giving York possession of the ball which they wouldn’t keep for long.

A lay-up by Franklin does not count after the ref called a travel on the play.

After York made a lay-up and a free throw, they ran down the clock, passing the ball to each other and keeping it away from the Warriors as long as possible.

A holding was called on York, and the Warriors had possession of the ball; a bad play on York resulted in them missing a pass.

The next play started with four minutes and twenty-seven seconds on the clock.

Rhyne passed the ball to junior Jake Eden, and a foul play on York gave Eden the opportunity to make three free-throws. The score was 26 – 38.

After York took possession of the ball and sends it to the other side of the court, they make a three-point shot, a lay-up and a free throw one after the other.

With each play, West York made the Warriors efforts fell short.

The score was then 26 – 44.

With under three minutes left in the period, Ogude stole the ball from number 21 from York and makes a two free-throws.

York returned the favor by making a lay-up, after this a time-out is called.

Under a Warrior possession,  Franklin makes two free-throws.

With twenty seconds remaining, Eden took control of the ball and sent it to the Warrior side of the court. York stole the ball and sent it back to the opposing side.

Ogude successfully took the ball from York but then lost control of the ball and the play stopped.

The third period ended and the score was 31 – 48 them.

Fourth period began with Rhyne passing the ball to Holloway who successfully made a two-pointer.

Thirty seconds pass of York passing the ball among themselves, and finally Eden steals the ball and makes a two point shot.

After York made a lay-up and four free throws, Franklin finally found a chance to take possession of the ball and made two free-throws; the score was then 40-61.

York continued to run down the clock but ended up kicking the ball foul.

The Warriors gained control of the ball, and Held made two free-throws.

After Held pushed number 21, 21 took two free throws, making the score 42 – 63.

Warriors called for a timeout and brought senior Avery Ghant into the game, fifty-five seconds are left in the game.

Held took control of the ball and made a free throw, and  then number 11 for York took the rebound, sending it to the other side of the court for a lay-up.

White took control of the ball with ten seconds left and made two free throws.

The game ended with the Warriors losing 46 – 67.