Swim Team Dives into the Season

By Ian Achterberg, Reporter

The Swim team opened their season at the Dover Eagle Invitational on Dec. 7 and 8.

The team, made up of 44 swimmers, competed against many different schools in the eight-hour long event, with many standout performances by Susky swimmers.

In the event, the top eight times of each event place, earning either ribbons for fourth through eighth place or medals for first through third place.  

The team’s top eight relay performances came from the boys 200 yard freestyle in sixth place- made up of senior Matthew Keuler, junior Matthew Schwanke, junior Ian Achterberg and junior Rohit Kandala, as well as the girls 200 yard freestyle relay in seventh place-made up of sophomore Jessica Dauberman, freshman Noelani Franklin, sophomore Emily Verba and senior Katlyn Baer.

Baer had two top finishes, placing first in both the 200-yard and 500-yard freestyle.

Other highlights came from freshman Max Pflieger, placing second in diving event 26 in the first half of the invitational on Dec 7.

Kandala, in addition to the 200-yard freestyle relay, placed fifth in both the 100 yard and 200-yard freestyle individual events.

Near the end of the event, Keuler raced ahead and placed sixth in the individual 100-yard breaststroke.

The season is off to a fast start, according to head coach Brian Wingert.

“[It] was a good learning experience for a lot of the new swimmers. It was their first experience at a meet. A lot of the veteran swimmers were able to get back in for the first time in…we had a lot of really great swims. We’re set out really well to have an awesome year.,” Wingert said.

The swim team will continue their season with two upcoming meets on Dec. 11 and 13 at  Gettysburg and home against Red Lion, at 7 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. respectively.