Blood Drive Admits Donors

Ryan Hartley, Photography Editor

Students filled the auxiliary gym to donate blood to the Red Cross and change lives forever on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

The blood drive aimed at assisting those in need, allowing high school students to have the option of donating to the cause.

School counselor Matthew Shervington talks with a blood drive staff member after giving blood.

Approximately 40 students filed into the gym to donate blood.

Senior Hunter Landis is a third-time participant in the annual blood drive at SHS.

“Is it really worth three people’s lives to miss an hour, tops, of school? Yes, yes it is,” said Landis.

Donating at least one pint of blood can assist up to three people.

The need for donations is stronger than ever before in the United States.

Various students and staff members gave blood at the blood drive.

About one in seven people entering a hospital are in need of blood-related assistance.

In addition,  only 37% of people are eligible to donate blood, making the need for donors even higher.

Only around 10% of those who are eligible to donate blood are actively donating, thus bringing the blood drive to the high school and other similar events are great ways of ensuring that those in need are receiving the blood necessary to pull through dangerous conditions.

It is estimated that 4.5 million people would die each year without the current trends in blood donation, and approximately 32,000 pints of blood are used each day in the United States to assist those in need.

The school registered nurse, Melinda Landis, is excited for students to get involved in the blood drive and sees a very important purpose in her work with the Red Cross.

“It is very important for students to get involved in this. It is a great way for students to start forming a habit through their life, hopefully. Blood is something that we cannot produce; it is something that has to be donated, and there is always a short supply,” said Melinda Landis.

The students in the high school are typically good candidates for blood donation, as many health professionals believe.

“Young students are the best groups of people to have as donors, generally because they do not have as many health problems or any other limitations that would prohibit them from giving,” said Melinda Landis.

The blood drive at Susquehannock is open to any student at the high school that is cleared for blood donation, of the age of 16 or has attained some sort of permission and is in good health to give blood.

Landis has some tips for students participating in the blood drive.

Staff members of of the blood drive wait to help out those giving blood.

“They need to make sure they eat and drink the morning of and bring their student ID or driver’s license to the event. This will all make them feel better the day of,” said Melinda Landis.

About the Writer
Ryan Hartley, Photography Editor

Senior Ryan Hartley is a fashion/portrait photographer and writer for the Susquehannock Courier this year. He loves to listen to music, shop for new clothing...