Debate Club prepares for Dallastown Tournament

The debate club is preparing for a Dallastown debate tournament on Nov. 10.

Photo of Debate club members. Photo taken by Martin Schroeder

By Martin Schroeder, Reporter

The debate club is preparing for a local debate tournament on Nov. 10 at Dallastown High School.

Juniors Livia Haines and Natalie Thomas prepare for the debate. Photo by Martin Schroeder

In preparation for this tournament, debate club is doing research on the debate type which is based on the Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas method.

Debate club advisor Andrew Warren knows the tournament format well.

“The debate form …originates from the debate between Abraham Lincoln and political rival Stephen Douglas in which instead of debating topics they debated philosophical issues,” said Warren.

The Lincoln-Douglas debate style is usually two people debating against each other on conflicting philosophical values of society.

The original Lincoln Douglas debates were about the value of slavery in the United States, as it was before the American Civil War in the year 1858.

The debate starts with the affirmative team going for six minutes, and then a cross-examination which lasts three minutes. Next,  the negative team goes for seven minutes before a cross-examination. Afterward is the first affirmative rebuttal, which lasts for four minutes. Next, the negative team does a rebuttal, which lasts for another six minutes. Finally, the affirmative team does another rebuttal for three minutes.

Debate club is practicing skills with all members, including freshmen Christian Slaton and sophomore Andrew Kalmanowicz.

Photo of debate club members Christian Slaton, on the left, and Andrew Kalmanowicz research their stance. Photo by Martin Schroeder

“We research both sides of the argument, affirmitive and negative, so we are prepared to argue either side at the event,” said Kalmanowicz.

The debate subject questions whether or not the right to privacy be allowed for government officials when they enter public office.

The debate club is excited to participate in this tournament and practice during their meetings.

“We meet once a week, every Tuesday after school,” said Warren.

Warren encourages others to contact him if they are interested in the debate club.