Scholastic Arts and Writing Opens for Submissions

Ian Achterberg, Reporter

The annual Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards opened their website on Sept. 12 for submissions.

Opening yearly, the Scholastic Arts and Writing competition allows students from grades 7-12 to submit pieces of art ranging from glass sculptures to journalism.

The competition is easily accessible through their website, www.artandwriting.org, which can be visited for further information.

Junior Annie Hebel, one of the most successful Susquehannock students in the competition, has entered twice since eighth grade and has earned national recognition.

“I’ve had a really great experience with Scholastic. I’ve entered twice and won two National Silver Medals… I’ve gone to the gold key awards ceremonies… I’ve gotten letters from senators congratulating me for it,” said Hebel.

English Teacher Tim Groth has been a major force in the effort to get more students involved with the competition.

“I’ve certainly had very positive experiences with the competition since we started entering documents in it three or four years ago, and every year we have received some kind of national recognition whether it be a silver or a gold medal. We’ve had many regional winners,” said Groth. “Overall, it’s been a positive experience from a results-driven standpoint. But also academically, it allows students to go beyond what they might typically do in a classroom. It gets them to work on something that… allows for more free thought.”

Groth and students meet regularly to edit and create writing pieces during the Creative Writing Workshop meetings, the first of which took place Wednesday, Sept. 19.

Senior Ellie Stevenson has spent many years writing and has earned regional recognition for her work.

“Well, I’ve received two honorable mentions, and that showed me that my writing isn’t horrible and gave me have a better passion for it,” said Stevenson.

Many students going into the competition have little expectations, even though their writing often soars beyond exceptional.

Hebel is one student who has spent hours revising and editing trying to reach expectations.

“No, I actually ended up stressing out about and rewrote the entire piece three days before the submission date. I was super surprised that I won the gold key, even. The silver medal was a complete shock,” Hebel said.

To learn more about the competition, visit Scholastic’s Website, reach out to an English teacher, or look out for the next Creative Writing Workshop meeting.

About the Writer
Ian Achterberg, Reporter

Junior Ian Achterberg is a new member of the Courier staff this year. He is actively involved with SHS's Theatre, swim team, and track  team. He enjoys...