Scholastic Arts and Writing Competition

After 1,600 entries from all over central Pennsylvania were reviewed, winners were chosen for the Scholastic Arts and Writing contest, including eight students from Susky.
The Scholastic Arts and Writing competition is a contest issued by The Alliance for Young Artists and Writers in which teens with exceptional artistic and literary talents are brought together to share their works with regional and national audiences.
The foundation was established in 1923 by Maurice R. Robinson. Today it is the largest and longest-running program. Students from grade 7 to 12 are invited from all over, submitting over 200,000 pieces of work for the 25 award categories this year.
These awards can be a big help in advancing the winners skills or possibly career, especially if one were to receive the Gold Key in Scholastic Arts and Writing. If a student receives a Gold Key,  the works of the students are advanced to the national competition in New York City.
This nonprofit organization is funded through Scholastic Incorporated amongst numerous other individuals, foundations, and corporations. The support from those mentioned have drastically helped in keeping the Alliance strong and continue changing kids lives.
Susky students that placed in the Honorable Mention category included senior Emily Cox, juniors Sarah Cerreta and Sarah Stockslager, and freshman Emma Gruner. Each student excelled in a different category, including Cox’s poetry, Cerreta’s photography, Stockslager’s drawing, and Gruner’s short story.
Gruner was unaware of the magnitude of this competition at first.
“I didn’t know how big of a deal the competition was, but when I did, all I felt was just, wow.” Gruner decided to enter the competition after being told by numerous teachers that her writing could help her win. For Gruner, it was just more of an experience, and it would help with college applications.
Sarah Stockslager was also exuberant to be recognized for her work, although she was actually expecting to go beyond honorable mention.
“Art is what I do,” said Stockslager. “ getting other’s opinions is always helpful. It was nice to think that I was accepted in that way.”
Cerreta, along with senior Jenna Nace and junior Jared McCredie, won the Silver Key award. Cerreta won for her digital art, McCredie won for his mixed media, and Nace won for her digital art and photography.
Nace was very excited to have received a higher valued key. “I would have been fine with honorable mention,” said Nace, “but instead, they gave me a silver key.”
The competition wasn’t too important to Nace, just a competition that she thought she stood a chance at. After winning, she was very proud of herself.
“It made me feel great [that] my photography has finally been recognized,” said Nace.
The winners of the Golden Key, each winning a chance in the National Competition in New York City, are senior Emily Cox for her art portfolio, junior Shayne Stockslager for his jewelry, and sophomore Brady Achterberg for his short story.
The winners of the Silver and Gold keys are invited to the award ceremony in Harrisburg to celebrate their accomplishments. McCredie, Nace, Cox, and Stockslager were also invited to showcase their pieces at the State Museum in Harrisburg.