Choir Ensembles Amaze Crowd in Spring Concert.

Susquehannock High School choir preparing for its upcoming Spring Choral Concert.

Ryan Hartley

Ryan Hartley

Justin Rosenberger, Reporter

Another choir year has come and gone as the SHS and SMS spring concert took place on Wednesday, May 2.

The high school and middle school choirs, led by Jay Althouse, have been working the past few months on making this concert possible.

Senior Kaleb Fair has been in choir since 7th grade and will always be grateful for his time in choir.

“I think I absolutely would not be who I am without choir,” said Fair. “I have been able to use choir as an outlet for expression, for my emotional state it is something that has been a safe haven for me”.

Student teacher E. Holmes has been teaching both choirs since February and was very impressed with everyone’s powerful singing ability.

“Both the high school and middle school choral ensembles are some of the best ensembles that I have ever seen in my observation in my four years as an undergrad,”said Holmes. “And being able to work with them and to work with choirs that are so responsive and quick on their feet, to make changes has been so inspiring and it makes me so excited to enter my job”.

The most positive feedback that students have given Holmes is his ability to teach the students the meaning behind each of the songs.

Middle school and high school choir had a three period dress rehearsal the day of the concert. Photo by Justin Rosenberger

“Coming in, I sort of saw the repertoire that we had chosen for the spring concert and saw the theme and started doing research,” said Holmes. “Being able to dive in and engage the choir in that was a merging of my two favorite things schooling and teaching.”

Choir teacher Jay Althouse has taught most of the seniors since the seventh grade grade and truly feels like that the class of 2018 is one for the ages. 

Jay Althouse going over the women’s piece. Photo by Justin Rosenberger

“It’s been a really great bunch,” said Althouse “I have enjoyed working with many of them if not all of them for six years, and they impress me very much.”

18 students finished their final concert, but the high school is looking forward to bringing in so many new faces next year.