Senioritis Affects Seniors

By Christopher Norris, Reporter

Seniors  are feeling a lack of motivation as the school year quickly comes to an end.

The term for this epidemic is senioritis.

Senior Colin Kernan thinks he knows why students get senioritis.

“They think about graduation,” said Kernan. “Their mindset is that they don’t need to focus on SATs or GPAs anymore because they’re already accepted into college.”

However, seniors should stay on top of their work because a drop in grades could result in a college acceptance being rescinded.

In addition, working hard senior year will help prepare for more challenging college courses.

With that being said, senior Conor Custer is showing through his actions that senioritis is a real thing.

“Senioritis has caused me to play more video games, prioritize fun things over school work, and spend more time with my friends and girlfriend,” said Custer.

Kernan’s schoolwork has also been affected by senioritis.

“I haven’t been studying as much, and I’ve been procrastinating on my assignments,” said Kernan.

If a student is worried about his or her senioritis, there are steps that can be taken to overcome it.

One step students can do is stay active.

When people exercise more, they have a boost in energy, which can result in a better work ethic.

Another step students can take is holding themselves accountable and realizing the negative effects senioritis can have.

Life after high school is very crucial and it should not be taken for granted.

When it comes to rising seniors, Custer has some advice about senioritis.

“If you are going to give in to senioritis, make sure you’ve already been accepted to college, have earned good grades in your first three years of high school, and have earned good first marking period grades during senior year,” said Custer.

While it’s unlikely that senioritis will ever be diminished, a little extra effort senior year can put students in a better position to succeed after high school.