Middle School Student Shines in Honors Choir

By Justin Rosenberger, Reporter

Eighth grade student Natalie Whelan was accepted into the 2018 ACDA Jr. High Honors Choir at the ACDA Eastern Division Conference at Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh.

The 2018 ACDA Honors choir performing at Heinz Hall on March 9. Photo by Jay Althouse.

The ACDA Jr. Honors Choir  consisted of approximately 200 kids from all across the state.

Natalie auditioned and was selected to be a part of the choir.

“I auditioned for it in July,” said Whelan. “I had to sing a folk song, and I had to sing ‘My Country Tis of Thee,’ and a scale.” 

The ACDA honors choir spent three days rehearsing for the concert. Photo by Jay Althouse

Despite the long process, Whelan thought the honors choir was unforgettable.

“It really was a wonderful experience,” she said. “The best part was probably singing in the concert.”

Choir director Jay Althouse attended the conference and also enjoyed the experience.

Jay Althouse with Natalie Whelan at the 2018 ACDA honors choir. Photo by Jay Althouse

“I attended a lot of workshops. We had director workshops all the time,” said Althouse. “I did some work with composers and other school directors and learn from them and what they do in their programs.”

Despite the event only taking place this past weekend, Whelan still has several opportunities she can strive for in the near future.

“It’s a one time thing for the week, Wednesday through Saturday, and she obviously can do it again next year for Nationals or the year after for ACDA East again,” said Althouse.

Natalie is the first student at Southern Middle School to take part in the honors choir.