Battle of the Buildings is a Blast for Audiences

By Josh Amara, Reporter

For the uninitiated, Battle of the Buildings is a fundraising event hosted by Susquehannock High School to help raise money for  Dollars For Scholars.

Physical education teacher Joe Sorice waits for his chance to compete. Photo by Gabby Lynch

Battle of the Buildings was hosted on February 22 and saw Friendship Elementary, Shrewsbury Elementary,  Southern Elementary, Southern Middle School and Susquehannock High School student and teacher teams battle it out in a plethora of games for the students and parents’ enjoyment.

Definitely, the most dominant figures in the competition were the Susquehannock High and Southern Middle teams, but Shrewsberry and Friendship were not short on fans cheering them on.

Mathematics teacher and head track and field coach Jonathan Lewis has been a participant in Battle of the Buildings for 10 years and was the captain of the Susquehannock team.

Mathematics teacher J.C. Lewis was the captain for the Susquehannock teacher team. Photo by Gabby Lynch

Friendship won the spirit award, Southern elementary won the elementary award, and the Susquehannock student team won the secondary trophy.

“Being the captain of the high school team is a privilege.  I love working with the other high school teachers.  They make my job easy and a lot of fun,” said Lewis.

The Susquehannock High school  Principal Kevin Molin says that students are playing bigger roles each year in organizing and promoting the event.  

Some of the games the teams competed in were tunnel relay, skiing, football toss, and balancing an apple on their heads while moving from one side of the gymnasium to the other.

The Southern School district was able to raise $4,000  for Dollars for Scholars.

Lewis and art teacher Wesley Myers focus in an event. Photo by Gabby Lynch

Dr. Molin said, “If [you] haven’t gone once in their lifetime [you are] missing out. It’s a really neat event to watch, schools come together, the teachers come together and just have a really fun time.”