2018 Super Bowl Commercials Entertain

The National Football League Logo. The NFL held its 52nd Super Bowl last Sunday on February 4. Photo by @NFL via Twitter.

NFL

Chris Norris, Reporter

The Super Bowl tends to be the most viewed televised event every year. With so many viewers, it is a great opportunity for companies to advertise their product or service in a memorable way. However, 30 seconds of ad space costs about five million dollars, which means companies need to make sure their ad will be worth the price. This year’s Super Bowl had many commercials that caught viewers’ attentiuons.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Trailer

The Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom trailer caught viewers off guard Sunday night. The trailer showed a much darker Jurassic Park movie than fans are used to. Sunday’s trailer did a great job introducing the highly anticipated “Indoraptor.” The Indoraptor is a smaller adaptation of the “Indominus Rex” from Jurassic World. This new dinosaur has the potential to be one of the scariest in the franchise. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, directed by J. A. Bayona, is set to release on June 22, 2018.

Doritos Blaze / Mountain Dew Ice

Doritos and Mountain Dew teamed up to create a very memorable Super Bowl commercial. The commercial featured famous actors Peter Dinklage and Morgan Freeman. Both actors took turns lip syncing over popular songs while showing off the product at hand. Dinklage showed off the new Doritos Blaze chips, while Freeman drank one of Mountain Dew’s new “Ice” beverages. Neither actor has the look of a famous rapper or singer which only adds to the comedy behind this advertisement.

Amazon’s Alexa

Amazon seems unable to do anything wrong lately. Their Super Bowl commercial was centered around their rapidly growing “Alexa” product. The ad begins with a stunned Amazon staff who just realized Alexa has “lost her voice.” The Amazon CEO, Jeff Bezos, gives his employees the permission to send in “the replacements.” The celebrity replacements include Gordon Ramsay, Cardi B, Rebel Wilson, and Anthony Hopkins. Each replacement fills in for Alexa’s voice until Alexa finally returns in the end to claim “I’ll take it from here.” Not only does this ad contain humor, but its inclusion of celebrities will make viewers remember Alexa when they see those individuals.

M&M’s

An M&M’s commercial on Super Bowl Sunday was not a surprise. The ad featured beloved actor Danny DeVito. DeVito is best known for his role of Frank Reynolds on the popular show It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. In the commercial, DeVito plays an M&M who has recently turned into a human being. To his shock, no one wants to eat him, which makes him very happy until he is hit by a truck and thrown into a fruit stand. While this commercial is simple, it’s still very effective.

New York Giants

Many viewers feel that the NFL’s commercial featuring the New York Giants’ Eli Manning, Odell Beckham Jr. and Landon Collins stole the show Sunday night. The ad features Manning and Beckham practicing a touchdown celebration while Collins watches from the sidelines. Surprisingly, Manning and Beckham seem at home while performing the ballroom dance celebration. Towards the end of the ad, Manning even lifts Beckham into the air while other Giants players surround them. While the purpose of the ad can’t be fully determined, it is likely the NFL released it to show fans they are no longer strict about touchdown celebrations, and they encourage players to express themselves. While it may not be on the football field this time, the irony in this situation is that the Giants once again stole the spotlight away from the New England Patriots on Super Bowl Sunday.

In addition to all the great advertisements, the Super Bowl itself was one to remember. The high scoring affair ended in favor of the Philadelphia Eagles, as the final score was 41-33. This was the first Super Bowl for the Eagles in the history of the franchise.

About the Writer
Chris Norris, Reporter

Chris Norris is a senior reporter for the SHS Courier. He is most interested in the sports side of journalism and broadcast. In addition to being a member of the Courier, Chris has played football and baseball since his freshman year at Susky. He plans on playing basketball this year. Outside of school, Chris has been a part of various volunteer activities as he is a member of the National Honor Society. In his free time Chris enjoys listening to music. Chris hopes to attend either the University of Miami or the University of Pittsburgh to continue his education.