Boys Basketball Kicks off Season at Donegal

By Chris Norris, Reporter

The Warriors opened the season this weekend with a tournament at Donegal High School.

This was the first real test for new head coach Andy Shelow.

“I felt pretty calm,” said Shelow. “I’ve been around these guys for a long time, and I’ve been around the varsity program for a long time…I was most surprised that I was more excited than I was nervous.”

[Right] Senior Jordan McMillion gets into his defensive stance. Photo by Gabby Martuszewski
Susky’s first game was Friday night when they took on the Donegal Indians.

The Warriors were able to make a few runs, but their efforts weren’t enough to knock off the Indians, as they lost 59-45.

Senior guard Josh Smiley believes he knows why they fell short.

Senior Jackson Murphy holds his follow through after a 3-point shot. Photo by Gabby Martuszewski

“We ended up beating ourselves that game,” said Smiley. “We turned the ball over too much, and our defense was too loose.”

Susky returned to Donegal the next day for a constellation match against the Palmyra Cougars.

The Warriors were in control most of the game, but a clutch shot from Cougars’ forward Nick Jelliff forced the game into overtime as time expired in regulation.

Head coach Andy Shelow talks to his team during a timeout. Photo by Gabby Martuszeswki

However, a few key defensive stops and converted free throws helped seal the deal in a rather dominant overtime period for the Warriors.

Senior guard Hunter Sentz remained calm at the free throw line all night.

“I just focus on keeping the same routine as always when I’m at the line,” said Sentz. “I don’t focus on how important the free throws are because I’ll put too much pressure on myself. I just focus on the basket and making the shot.”

Senior Hunter Sentz shoots a free throw late in the game Saturday night. Photo by Gabby Martuszewski

Susky’s defense started clicking for the Warriors that night as they left the gym with a 51-45 victory.

The Warriors will begin division play December 12 when they take on the visiting York Suburban Trojans (0-1).