Football Team Wins Division II Title

Gavin Held

By Ethan Schammel, Reporter

The football team played in a division championship against the Dover Eagles for their final regular season game of the season last Friday, Nov. 3. 

Sophomore Henry Rohlfs gets the blood circulating. Photo by Gabby Lynch

According to senior outside linebacker Alec Kramer, many people were able to attend an evenly matched football game.

“We’re both really good teams. It’ll be a good game,” said Kramer prior to the game.

The team was sitting on a 7 and 2 overall record and a 5 and 0 record in the division.

The football team won 24-17 to earn the first division title since 2006, which is when assistant coach Bill Kerr’s son played on the team.

“2006 was the last time our school won a division championship. I remember that pretty well because my oldest son, Billy, was a junior on that football team,” said Kerr.

Kerr thinks the team’s work ethic is the best it has been in a long time.

“It’s been a year long accomplishment of coming together and working hard as a team, taking practice very seriously, and coming out and performing in games. Their preparation has been some of the best I have ever seen in my 23 years of coaching,” said Kerr.

The players have worked hard for this moment since August. 

“We wrote ‘2017 Division Champions’ on the chalkboard outside of Coach’s room before the season started as our goal. We finally get to compete and have the chance to accomplish our goal. Everyone always said that this senior class would be the class to make a difference. The team and I are playing this Friday to prove it,” said Trego prior to the game.