Stairs to Nowhere Intrigue Students

By Reagan Gorham, Reporter

Blake Ramey
The stairs are completely blocked off by a wooden floor.

All the way down the tower stairs and straight ahead, there is a set of locked doors.

In this section of the basement, closed off to students, there is a set of stairs.

Except these stairs lead to nowhere.

The stairs to nowhere, built in the 1980s, were supposed to lead to the faculty parking lot.

But when the library was built where the faculty parking lot was, the stairs had to be built over because they weren’t an approved fire exit anymore.

The stairs are in the basement, near the old cafeteria, when the school was much smaller.

Now, it’s hard to imagine the stairs led anywhere, in the darkened, closed off part of the basement.

Biology teacher Ed Bailey remembers the stairs when they weren’t closed off, as well as the old cafeteria next to them.

“I was there as a student in that cafeteria as well, and it was still being used when I came back as a staff member,” Bailey said.  “It was a little smaller than ours now […] but it was a good-sized cafeteria […] I was here during 76-80. Eventually it was closed off and used for storage.”

An eerie sight, there are no plans to get rid of the stairs yet.

Art teacher Wesley Myers, a former student at Susquehannock, remembers the old stairs and cafeteria. “There’s a lot of history and patched on addition-work to this building that makes it unique compared to other high schools in the area,” said Myers.

To this day the stairs remain in the basement, only leading to the ceiling.