Susky Takes On Halloween

Brittany Boone, Reporter

Senior Michael Torbert sizzles as a piece of bacon. [Photo by Maggie Sisler]

With so many different social influences or characters in the world, the possibility for creative costumes is almost endless.

Inspiration can be found through movies, television, plays, books, and many other places.

During this season, consumer science teacher Martha Sandusky is in the Halloween mindset because she is in the process of handling costumes.

Sandusky is working on creating hand-made pieces that can be worn in the holiday spirit.

In light of this, Sandusky finds that there is more authenticity in creating costumes rather than buying them.
  By choosing the correct templates and working on the patterns, it is very possible to create a wearable costume for all ages.

Many people, even as adults, still find fun in dressing up for Halloween.

“I dress up for preschool because I teach the preschool, and they dress up in preschool. So I have no problems with it. I think it’s fun; I think I have been to parties where they dress up. It can be very creative, and I like to see what people come up with, ” said Sandusky.

From a student perspective, investing in costumes can mean exponential fun and ideas.

For senior Virginia Shelley, it means 31 days of creative looks where each day of October, she dresses up with different costume makeup.

Every day of this month, Shelley chooses randomly, and after choosing, she finds that it may be difficult to do the look at first, but because she wants to attend a college for artistic makeup and invest in the Halloween fun, it becomes an invited challenge.

The key to a quality costume is commitment, and Shelley finds that dressing up takes confidence.

“If you want to be it… if you are really passionate about Harley Quinn, and you want to be Harley Quinn, you be Harley Quinn,” said Shelley.

Although there is a fun component to choosing a Halloween costume, there is also the part of figuring out whether or not the costume is appropriate.

“Know your audience. If you’re going trick or treating, in a neighborhood where you know there’s going to be kids, don’t be a sexy cop or a sexy pirate,” said Shelley.

Costumes can be very exciting when they are creative and fun, but it is best to keep in mind the appropriateness and safety that may come along with them this Halloween.

About the Writer
Brittany Boone, Reporter

Brittany Boone is a senior reporter for the Courier this year, and she plans on learning more advanced digital media skills that eventually can apply to life beyond high school. Brittany wants to focus more on the photography and article writing aspects of media since she plans on creating a blog one day. While she is still in school, Brittany participates in Aevidum, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Link Crew, Susky Writing Center, Spanish Club, and more. Outside of school, she loves volunteering at Grace Fellowship Church, learning more about what it means to be a Christian, playing with her puppy, Buggy, and watching her one-year-old brother, Christian. For the Courier, and  anything in life, Brittany plans on doing her best while still having fun. Her mentality is that in the case that she fails, at least she had fun while doing it.