Golf Team Tees Off Undefeated Season

By Madison Gillespie, Sports Editor

Senior Kendel Abrams tees off. Photo by: Ray Lingenfelter

The golf team has currently achieved an undefeated season and has qualified for the YAIAA team championships.

Thanks to hard work put in by the coaches and players, Susquehannock now holds the top spot in the district.

Coach Ray Lingenfelter thinks that it is very important for players to stick to the basics of golf and also keep a healthy mental state when playing.

“At this point of the season we still spend time on the basics. When you are playing under pressure, it  is very important that you have confidence every part of your game. However, a considerable amount of time is also spent on the mental side of the game.  Staying calm and making good decisions. Discussing how to best play the golf course. keeping a positive attitude and focus on each shot. The mental side of golf can greatly influence a player’s performance,” said Lingenfelter.

Players have been making sure to keep up with their training by doing several golf tournaments over summer break.  

Sophomore Andrew Roberts has been doing his part to train for the upcoming matches.

However, Roberts believes that there could be some improvements that could be made to the team’s overall performance.

“The only improvements that the team could really make would be trying to be more consistent with our scores as some of the matches we have had this year were very close and only won by 3 one time so, if we could all become more consistent and rely on everyone to shoot in a certain range that, could help us in avoiding those close calls and more matches were we just run away with the win,” said Roberts.

Senior golfer Kendel Abrams wants to make sure to keep a level mindset going into the next match on Wednesday for the YAIAA team championships.

“My mindset is just taking it one shot at a time and not thinking about the past. It’s really important in golf to stay leveled and not get distracted. I’m trying not to get ahead of myself and let each moment be a learning experience for the future,” said Abrams.

Lingenfelter wants to ensure that the team will not lose sight of their goals.

“Our goals for this year have never changed even though we have won our Division Championship. We want to play our best, develop a love and appreciation for the game, show respect for the courses we play and our playing partners, and most importantly, have fun. We seldom use the term win. If we make progress toward our goals, the wins will come,” said Lingenfelter.

Both Abrams and Roberts have qualified for the finals along with Spencer Beran that will be held next Friday and Saturday.

To see more pictures of the golf tournament, click here.

Golf players practice their swing. Photo by: Ray Lingenfelter