Warrior Track & Field Show Up with Strength on Senior Night

Dan McNair, Video Editor

The track and field team celebrated their senior night on the evening of Tuesday, May 2.

Before the final home meet of the season, athletes, fans and coaches gathered for an announcement of the seniors on the team as well as an acknowledgment of their contributions to the program over the past several years.

Senior Philip Karpouzie participated in Track and Field for all four years of high school.

“Senior night is my last chance to do the thing I love to do most in high school, which is track and field. It’s a chance for all of the younger athletes, fans, and fans to show their appreciation for what the seniors contribute to the team,” said Karpouzie.

The seniors of the track and field team gather together. Photo courtesy of Gabby Martusewzki.

After the Senior Night festivities concluded and the athletes were properly hyped up, the meet began in full swing.

The Warriors squared up against the Northeastern Bobcats in their final home meet of the season or -for the graduating seniors-of their high school career.

Senior Sam Steines in mid-vault. Photo courtesy of Sharon Rodgers

The boys team secured a clear victory over the bobcats, beating the opposition by around 100 points after all events were accounted for.

Senior Sam Steines actually snapped his pole during the boys pole vault event, which is exceptionally rare.

“I planted my pole into the ground, and it snapped. Everyone thought a gun went off because it was so loud, and when they looked over, I was on the ground and my pole was 30 feet in the air. Coach Lewis was laughing so hard because it was the first time we’ve seen it in a while, but I was kind of bummed because it was my favorite pole,” said Steines.

Once the dust settled from the regular girls events, the score was tied up, and the athletes prepared for tie breakers.

After a series of super close tie-breakers, the girls team narrowly lost to the Northeastern Bobcats.

Photo courtesy of Sharon Rodgers

Senior Wesley Juarez participates in both long jump and hurdles but focuses the majority of his effort on the long jump.

“All things considered, I think we had a pretty good senior night. The boys performed really well, and the girls came super close, so I think the team really showed up and showed their appreciation for the seniors,” said Juarez.

Follow up with the Courier for updates about the Warrior Track and Field program as the team moves into the postseason.