Marching Band Set to Perform Alongside The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

By Mia Kobylski, Editor-in-Chief

The Marching Band has been invited to play alongside the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble at the Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center.

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble consists of seven brothers from south Chicago, who tour internationally.

A documentary about the group aired on PBS, and they have performed in places such as Carnegie Hall and The Sydney Opera House.

Two Susquehannock drummers watch York Suburban’s marching band at the football game. Photo by Mia Kobylski

During the event, the marching band will perform the song “War,” written by the ensemble, which was featured in the well renowned film The Hunger Games.

In addition to playing alongside the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, the marching band will perform their field show, Isolation.

Isolation is the show that the marching band and color guard perform at competitions and football games.

Now, they will have the opportunity to perform it for a larger crowd on a stage.

Senior Julien Sherman enjoys performing the award winning show and believes that people can connect to the theme.

“…everything in the show makes you connect with someone who feels isolated, which we can all feel that way at times. It’s got some wacky rhythms and sounds in it,” said Sherman.

The band performs the National Anthem at the football game. Photo by Mia Kobylski
The band performs the National Anthem at the football game.
Photo by Mia Kobylski

Susky band members are excited for the event, and their director, Chris Poole, believes that they can learn valuable lessons.

“We can learn what it’s like to work with a group that is a different makeup than what we are…” said Poole, “…and collaborate… with a professional group…”

Freshman Lucas Schwanke believes that the band can learn and grow from working with a group that is professional and well known.

“We can learn how to be better players and how to perform for a larger audience,” said Schwanke.

The event will be held on October 20 at the Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center.

Tickets are $44.00 each and $10.00 of each ticket sold through the band will go towards future endeavors.

Students are set to start working on the music in the near future.

From left to right: Band Members Anna Joy, Mei Mei Tomko, and Camryn Brakmann Photo by Mia Kobylski
From left to right: Band Members Anna Joy, Mei Mei Tomko, and Camryn Brakmann
Photo by Mia Kobylski