F.C.A. Starts the New Season in Prayer

F.C.A. comes together every Wednesday morning in room 020. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Enjoying the morning’s serenity, the members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes came together at Susky’s flagpole last week to pray for the school, nation and the rest of the world that are in need.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes (F.C.A.) is dedicated to helping students find their faith outside of school and letting students interact with each other about religious topics in a lively way.

Electronic Arts teacher Wade Bowers helps a student with her project. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

The club was originally founded in 1998 and has provided a safe environment for students to exercise their belief with each other.

Electronic arts teacher Wade Bowers advises F.C.A. and enjoys helping students find their faith in God and Jesus Christ.

“[See you at the flagpole] is a worldwide event where students go to the flagpole at their school and they pray for local things, national things and worldwide things,” said Bowers. “We want all people to know that they are welcome, and it’s not just limited to athletes. Basically, [students] are pursuing their faith in Jesus Christ.”

F.C.A. accepts everyone and strives to help students find amusing ways to practice their religion.

“The goal for F.C.A. this year is to bring more people in and to just really have a good time. We want to build up our own faith, basically. I think that we’re just trying to invite people, let them come out and see why we have so much fun,” said Bowers.

Senior Addy Schefter is one of the five new leaders of the club and wants to find new ideas to make the club even more exciting.

“I am one of the new leaders. Last year, I tried to come as much as I could, but I didn’t come too often. This year I’m really stepping up,” said Shefter.

Students who are in the club enjoy sharing their faith with each other and are always looking forward to spending more time together on Wednesday mornings.

F.C.A. came together last Wednesday to pray around the flagpole in front of the school. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

“I love being able to get with other students who are also Christians in school, and we get to talk about our faith together,” said Shefter.

Students aren’t the only ones who enjoy catching up at the meetings, but the advisers do as well.

Physical Education teacher Doug Truscott wants students to have a good time while practicing their faith every meeting.

“The primary goal is to to provide a place where fellow believers can get together and fellowship with each other, and also to invite other people,” said Truscott.

Meetings are on Wednesday mornings at 7:00 a.m. in room 020, and future activities and events are to be determined in the future.